Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello from Susanne, all the way from the Netherlands

Susanne

Enthusiast
Hello everybody,

I'm Susanne and live in Rotterdam (Netherlands). At the moment I'm an engineer and designing and drawing offshore stuff. Don't like it that much so I'm surching for something else.

My boyfriend and I both have a BWM F650 GS but would like to have a car too. This because we can't take our kitesurf boards with us when we travel with our motors.

Why do we want a Renault 4:
I love old cars. They have a history, you get the real "oldtimer" feeling when driving it and I inherited the love for any Renault of my father.

Now we're at the point to decide which Renault 4 we would like to buy and that's why I ended up here. There is lots of good information I can use while choosing a 4.

Thank you for reading and I'll keep you informed.

PS Sorry for my bad English, sadly I'm not a native and make mistakes constanly:(

Welcome,

Your English is far better than my Dutch!

Good luck finding your car, I hear Leboncin.fr is a pretty good place to start looking.

..and better than your french as well Pepper..

..The great site for R4's in France is as Pepper suggests www.leboncoin.fr..but is spelt slightly differently to what he suggested..Amazing enough there are currently quite a few hundred for sale all over France and here is one for you Susanne - Ideal for carting kitesurf boards around and driving into town without anyone noticing you!!

Unfortunately you will to change your name from Susanne to Virginie Van de Merwe!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok ok, I can't spell either.

Luckily for me Ians very kindly posted the link up.

Ian is that a picture of your latest acquistion for your little island?

If it is I must say it suits you, but don't you think it'll stand out on your little island? :p

..None of us can spall Papper..

..But Susanne I wanted to mention that if you get do get a R4 you will be instantly installed as Clementines European Administrator, sadly an unpaid role but vital for the perservation of R4's and you will then be perfectly positioned for arranging the next European R4 gathering - All the Southern and East England R4 owners are always looking for an excuse to take their R4s to Hampsterjam for a weekend of visiting the Rijks Museum, Van Gogh's house, The Amstel Brewery and even some Tulip field viewing -I may have missed something but is there anything else to do in Hampsterjam Susanne - ?

The West and Central French crew can get to you in a couple of hours.

Reida in Norway land and our new Swedish chum - 4 hours over the Danmark / Sweden bridge.

Bluebell and her East France crew - 3 hours. The Cornish and South West crew - 4 hours via Roskoff.

Sava and Pasha in Belgrade, John Doe in Bosnia and the Eastern European team - 5 hours via Vienna.

David
in Australia - 3 weeks overland via Afghanistan

And anyone else who I have forgotten - plus or minus 10 hours

So there we are Suzanne, we are all waiting on you, you and you.

And by the way do you really live in Wassenar?

Hey Guys,

Ok, let me see:

Ian and pepper on www.leboncoin.fr there is indeed a massive amount of renault 4 if you compare it whith the dutch market. But I am a bit reserved when it comes to buying cars outside the Netherlands. First my French is much wors than my English (imagine!), it is quite a journey just to see if I might like the 4 I've seen on the internet and finally I have to import it here and make it APK worthy, probably your MOT...

Then... I really like the pink surf renault 4, though I'm afraid my boyfriend thinks different..

Finally Ian, isn't that good in spelling either, first it is Susanne and then it is Suzanne in the same reply :confused:
And why do you think I'm from Wassenaar? It says Rotterdam in my screen....2x:confused:
By the time I've found a renault 4 we'll see about the clementines dutch department.

I found a nice one but it already has driven up to 240.000km (149.129 miles)
And only some welding to the bottom plate has been done besides a complete interiour renovation.

Is this too much??

• nice one.jpg
    nice one.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 490
It looks nice, the kilometres do not matter as much as the condition.

For me its always condition of the chassis and bodywork above all else, mechanical things are relatively simple to get sorted, but welding, replacing panels and repainting are far more difficult to get sorted out.

..You are dead right Susanne..

..And please realise that all I say below is written with my tongue in my cheek - an english expresson for having a bit of fun..

So here we go... I did mix up the spelling of your name and I did mix up the Hamsterjam / Rotterdam business but pray tell us what is there to do in Rotterdam - An afternoon at looking at the biggest containers ships in the wereld?

I suspect that if you suggested a meeting of R4 owners in Rotterdam a number would say that sadly they couldnt make it as that afternoon they were off to Tesco. (Our chain of pernicious supermarkets) Good word there Pepper?

Dont be put off buying a french R4 as they are still incredibly cheap here in France and as a bonus, they even have the steering wheel on the correct side for driving up and down all the hills in Holland.

To help you in your selection, Bluebell will send you her 'Guide for potential Dutch purchasers for buying a R4 in France' which should reassure you.

All I can say is that the car you have your eye on has gone a quarter of the way around the wereld already and as we know R4's were never really meant to be driven outside France, as Papper will confirm.

Luckily as a paid up member of the RSPFR4's, He is taking his home....

What about this one...

The car looks lovely Susanne. What year is it? The sunroof is a bonus. What sort of price is the seller asking for it?

Don't take any notice of Ian. It's the intoxicating French air! The rest of us are fairly normal!

They are fabulous, Suzanne. I would buy them all! It's worth spending a bit more at the outset to get a really good one. The quality remains after the price has been forgotten. I rather like the brown dashboard, quite unusual.

Welcome to the forum Susanne,

I'd agree it's good to buy the nicest car you can find. 240,000km is on the high side, but the engines will go on for ever in these cars if properly maintained. They are very under-stressed. Though higher mileage cars are not quite so nice to drive as low mileage cars. The seats can sag and break, suspension bushes wear, and other bits wear and fall off.

It's an older car too so will have more rust. There's a buyers guide on this site you can check to see which areas rust. The car looks nice, but I might be tempted to buy a 1990 car with lower mileage.

Hey Malcolm,

The good thing about a car that is older than 25 years is that we don't have to pay taxes for it here in the Netherlands:)

I asked my dad to look for a nice 4 at the Frence site. He speaks/reads Frence fluently. He lived the first 18 years of his life in France and is a sales manager so if somebody is able to buy a good and cheap car in France it is him :)

Keep you informed!

..Anglo / Dutch relations?

..Look at this Susanne, a typical case of some action that could very well threaten Anglo / Dutch relations.

After falling our with your Icelandic cousins, if this sort of thing continues, Team GB and his government will fall out with Holland as well and bang goes all my ING Direct savings as well!!

Dont these Barstewards have an ounce of sense and realise how taking away a badly parked car could well wreck my old age pension plans?

What is the world coming to?

• Anglo Dutch.jpg
    Anglo Dutch.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 90
Hey just heard the latest news on the economic crisis,

a breast implant factory has gone tits up

yes yes, here it is :)

We're the proud owners of the Renault 4.

A little hole in the bottom plate is welded last week, and the window locks are glued on the windows.

Left are: fixing or replacing the lock of the trunk.
And filling the holes in the bottom plate that are meant to mount the rubber "carpet" of the interiour.

http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=79

We paid 1800euro, the painting looks awfull, but for the rest it is a good car :)

Back