Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help!!

Bajababy

Enthusiast
"It's the nicest green R4 I've ever seen" Derek at Renospeed told me. (he even had the decency to say green not 'snot' green) However the good news was short lived..."But the chasis is a dog!"

So there we are. Do I throw the towel in? Sell my car as a going concern or parts? NO WAY!!!

So here is my plea; I'm after a decent chasis or a car with a decent chasis which can be stripped down. I've got Derek on stand-by to do the work. I just need to find the chasis. I'm over to France shortly so will be on the lookout there but if there is anyone here who has anything that fits the bill I'd be interested to hear from you. (it's a long shot I know)

Cheers, Tone.

PS. Derek at Renospeed is a top guy. He took the time to look over my car and give me sound advice and options even though he clearly has his hands full, so thanks Derek, I'll be in touch as soon as I find a car.

Renospeed quoted me approximately £1000 to rebuild a bare chassis (i.e. one from which the bodywork engine, wheels etc. had been removed). It sounds a lot but if the rest of the car is in good nick and you're willing/able to do the dismantling/reassembly, that might be a preferable option cost-wise.

Hi, thanks for your words. I don't really have the time or brain capacity to undergo such a job as transfering body to chasis myself so ideally I need another car which I'll get to Derek then let him crack on...

I'd rather be surfing.. :)

Cheers, Tone

France is a fairly good place to search. Especially the south of France.

I bought a car last year from Avignon. 45 years old with hardly a hint of surface rust never mind all the rot you'll find on UK cars. Saved me 3 years of restoration. Northern France cars tend to have the same troubles ours have, but still many are not so far gone.

Cheers Malcolm. I'll be down in Chambery. I've got a few contacts down there so I think that'll be my best bet or maybe Morocco where I remember there being many..

..Hello from France..

..Hello Tone and good news

I have an old car that has a good chassis and you would be welcome to it - Malcolm knows it and has said that the chassis is 'quite good' - Its a french left hand drive 1984 (?) type 112800 - VF111280000512308 if that means anything to you and Derek.

I have just had a look at the chassis and floor - The floor is in 1st class condition and the only bit of rust I could see was a very small hole near the rear trailing arm / jacking point on passenger side (see pics). That will need half an hour of Derek's innumerable repair skills.

You are welcome to collect it at any time but I have it advertised in on Leboncoin at the moment - http://www.leboncoin.fr/vi/77690246.htm?ca=18_s -2 people are interested so you must tell me yes or no pretty quickly - Collection can be at any time to suit you.

I am 3 hours due south of St Malo near a town called Mareuil sur Lay in the Vendee - for direction see our website: www.moulinbodin.net

I look forward to hearing from you and would like you to know that I am no expert in these matters so 'on your head be it'.

Ian S

• CIMG5105.JPG
    CIMG5105.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 279
  • CIMG5106.JPG
    CIMG5106.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 274
It's not as good as I remembered. I only recalled the rust in the inner rear suspension mountings, but looks like the outers have gone too. Can't do any better from my pile of chassis though.

Thanks Ian and Malcolm. Although a trip back to the Vendee would be nice it seems the chassis is quite rusty. Had it been better I would have taken it off your hands. In the unlikely event of one coming up here in England I think I'll have to hunt further south, maybe even Morocco.

Thanks for taking the time to respond and add photo's. It was very good of you.

Cheers, Tone.

Its a shame the one I have has been crunched as pre crash it was in good condition.

..Good condition?

..Pepper dear boy, you mentioned that your was in 'good condition' - does that mean that there is no rust on it at all in either the chassis members or the floor plan ? And out of interest Malcolm, are the two front left and right bits part of the chassis or are they bolt ons as one of mine did get biffed in the crash?

The reason I ask is apart from the bit shown in my pics and a tiny bit of rust on the inside of the the drivers side rear member, the rest is fab and I think Tone, you are passing up an opportunity with mine as finding a brilliant one may take you a while and involve a lot of running around!!

Anyway, good luck with you search..

• Clemmie.jpg
    Clemmie.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 121
What is with castrolex and his Columbia made chassis?

No idea just yet - I was busy at the time and didn't private message him. My busy time ought to end the week after next but I've been putting off a load of things so week after that is my current timing.

If anyone else would like to private message castrolex asking how we can get hold of these chassis I'd much appreciate it. Ought to be possible to order a number of them between us - there is a fair bit of interest.

Hi Ian. You're right about your offer. My problem at the moment is time, or the lack of it regarding the pic-up of your R4. If you're in no rush to tidy your garden maybe we can sort something out. I'm so busy at work at the moment that I can't see me getting over to you until early next year.

Tone.

Hi Ian the chassis is all welded together I'm afraid, you could cut the pieces out from mine and repair, but it would probably still be easier and cheaper to get a condition 1 chassis in the first place to replace.

Cheers Ian. Caroserrie?? Is that chassis in French? My French is rusty, like my chassis. Where is 85500? Any ideas Les Sable d'lonne rings a bell for some reason...

Back