Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

look what I found

I bought normal seals because the one I taken out from my gearbox looked normal too, Maybe someone changed it before me.
I have put two in row because I had two and there was space :D Just to be sure :D

My water pump went on yesterday with a new gasket. Cleaned it thoroughly and painted the pulley.

After tightening the last bolt, the socket fell down into the narrow space at the flywheel. :doh:

It took me 4 hours before I managed to get it out. I tried compressed air, vacuum cleaner, pieces of wire etc . I tried from the top, bottom and from the side, but couldn't reach it. I was considering taking my whole engine out again when my little magnet came to the rescue.

I stuck it onto the flywheel and turned the flywheel by hand until the magnet got to the bottom and attracted the socket. :Dvery happy.

DSCF6701.JPG
DSCF6697.JPG

Great story and resourceful conclusion......When things like that happen its possible to get annoyed with yourself...especially as we are often trying to do the job around other domestic responsibilities or work etc. Well done a satisfying result :clapping:

Carburetor was installed today, looking a lot better after a clean. I have never smelt anything worse than 15 year old petrol. !!!

I didn't open it up in case I damaged the gasket (no spare) so I just squirted some fresh petrol into the inlet, shook it around a little and then drained it out. I also removed the filter and rinsed it in clean petrol.DSCF6703.JPG

Think you should definitely buy a gasket set... after all the work you have done, it's a pity to bypass the simplest step...

Mr Reno, looks like I'm in the market for a gasket set if you have one. it's a 28 carb. Are their any other details you need? Like a serial number? I think its got VO5 printed on the side. Or does one size fit all 28"s.
I wouldn't mind replacing the filter as well as my one seemed a little fragile.If you need more details I can send them with photos
Many thanks !

Last weekend I replaced the steering rack with the two spacers . When I first took the rack out, both spacers fell onto the floor and at the time I didn't realize that each one is numbered and has different dimensions.

I worked out which side they go as the back edges of the plate are sharp and the front edges have been nicely rounded.

IMGP1205.JPG

Put my fan on yesterday. It's made from nylon, strong and unbreakable, and cleaned up nicely.

Then came the radiator. It used to be painted black but I prefer the copper colour; it might take a bit of maintenance to keep it like that.
IMGP1208.JPG
IMGP1211.JPG

I don't know if you can find it over there, but Gibbs Brand is super for protecting exposed metal which isn't exposed to direct rain. It is an American product. I used it to cover a bare steel body for a few months and it was effective.

Thank you Malcolm, I Googled Gibbs Brand and thats exactly what I'm looking for. Somehow I doubt whether I'll find it here so I'll try and find something similar.
If all fails I'll try Azazello's suggestion. I suppose there's always "Brasso":)

clear lacquer may be sufficient, its often used on power transformers..though I am not sure of the temp rating..for this application I am sure it wouldn't hurt to try it...

I pulled my engine today, have it almost completely pulled down...need to get the cam cog off to remove crank...its a can of worms isn't it! I was hoping not to have to go the full rebuild, but due to the design there doesn't seem any other way.

I am interested to know how you go with this engine..I hope you are successful...the re seal of the cylinders worries me a little though...mine are stuck firm and I am in two minds whether to disturb them.

thanks Laurie, as long as your piston sleeves are well clamped down there shouldn't be a problem. If they're not clamped and you turn the crankshaft, it will disturb the seal.
So be careful if you're changing your rings.
I didn't have too much of a choice because my pistons were stuck fast in their sleeves and besides that, there was a lot of rust in the block and on the outside of the sleeves.
The seals are paper and very thin and I'm just as worried although I think I've done it correctly. We'll know soon enough as I'll be starting up this week.
Good luck with yours and post some photos

Well good luck with it mate, you've put the work in, fingers crossed! I ended up pulling the engine after doing comp tests again...there was a gradual decline in compression form cylinder 4 too 1.. 4 at about 140 psi then 130, 125, and number 1 was struggling for 110...these are probably acceptable reading though i just didn't like it...i done a wet test again on cylinder ! and the compression came back strong...so i figured it wasn't a valve problem..

Now i have it apart, although its a big job, it had to be done...there is a huge amount of carbon build up on top of pistons and valves..
So I am looking for a full gasket kit, rings, bottom end bearings which are also surprisingly worn..and maybe a water pump if i cant rebuild this one..

I filled the cooling system this past week. I opened the bleed screw and connected a tube to it so that any overflow could run into a bucket. Put the heater on the "hot" position and raised the expansion bottle and removed the radiator cap.

I could only get 5 liters in (including the expansion bottle) even with squeezing the rubber water pipes, The manual says that it should take 5,50 liters.

I haven't started the car yet so maybe that will help.

I opened the sump plug and found everything completely dry inside, so thankfully my paper seals don't leak:)
IMGP1220.JPG

Surely all will be fine, but wait until the water system is pressurised to call for victory.

This photo looks like trouble, right?
I found a wet patch under my car this morning. At first I thought that it was leaking from the bottom of the water pump and then I noticed these white crystals around the bottom of the hoses. I presume its from the coolant?

When I rebuilt my engine, I didn't remove the hose with the thermostat inside because it looked fine and I didn't want to disturb the seal. I should have done a more thorough job so I have only myself to blame. I haven't tested the thermostat because I can't get it out of the hose so I don't know if it works or not.

I'm going to order new hoses and a new thermostat and do a proper job. Der Franzose have 2 thermostats that I can choose from.
One of them opens at 75 C and the other at 89 C.

i think its better to have the 75 C . Any thoughts please?
IMGP1313.JPG
IMGP1314.JPG

Back