Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Ornella the '65 R4 - SOLD

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Ornella is pictured in great detail on http://www.renault4.co.uk/my-renault-4.htm She is completely original (apart from her tailgate which is disappointingly post-'65 and a nicely done repaint on the outside panels only) having been run by a priest in the south of France for 41 of her 44 years.

I bought her from a furniture restorer in Avignon last year, and over the winter I replaced the mechanical bits and pieces that the pragmatic French mechanic had got wrong. She now drives very well and has more torque and power than you would expect from a 750cc 3 speeder. I've registered her in the UK on a C plate.

With rust being a bit of an issue with Renault 4s I should mention Ornella has no rust, at all, anywhere. I think she must have been stored under-cover in the south of France as her interior is amazing too.

She'll need to be stored under cover as she's a museum piece. She even has the original 1965 gearchange diagram on the windscreen! She is not for everyday use nor for leaving outside in the rain.

My reasons for sale are I'm not using her enough, I'm becoming short of storage, and mostly because I have more cars on the road at the moment than I can sensibly take care of.

My valuation for Ornella would be over £3500 which would just about cover my costs but not my time spent in getting her working nicely. I would not be open to offers less than that. Do visit and have a look before making an offer. She is LHD but I could include the parts necessary for a RHD conversion or could even do the conversion for you.

Don't rush - this isn't eBay or anything silly like that. Come see and drive Ornella or request more photos. There are some more photos in my album on the forum (you'll need to register to see them): http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/album.php?albumid=85

If only i had a garage to keep it in....

Are you sure you want to sell it, i still regret selling my blue 62 to this day...5 years later....you will never find another like it......stop going on and on....
sorry bout that

good luck with finding her a new home...hope its someone in the club

regards
andrew

Hi Malcolm!sorry to see you're selling Ornella as she looks TOTALLY STUNNING!
-as you say there comes a time when you have to make the decision to sell,and I totally agree with you-if you don't have the time to drive her anymore it's best to find a new home for the girl..

Shouldn't be hard to sell at £3500 as she looks really One of a Kind

-new owner will save Big on not having to do all those tedious bits we all know too well...
Hope the old girl will be there next week so at least I can have a look at her before she goes.... Cheers/seeYa -R.

I'd have her like a shot Malcolm, having seen her in the flesh, so to speak, and knowing she is in such a fabulous original state. But I can't keep her in a garage and haven't the nous to look after her properly.

I do hope you find someone that will take care of her. BTW I would think it a shame to convert her to RHD or do any messing about with her.

True enough - it would be a shame to mess with her. And LHD adds to the fun.

I'm just not using her as much as I thought I would. Especially at the moment when she's blocked in by Helga the MGA. Ornella is fun to drive, but it's a lot easier to jump into Ermintrude the Renault 4 when I want to go to the shops.

Might try to encourage her back into France via eBay later on in the year. I'm sure they'd love to have her back, and the climate is more favourable over there.

Might also post new photos of the engine bay at some point - been tidying in there for a while and now the air filter has finally been blasted and sprayed.

she's blocked in by Helga the MGA.

Easy-why don't you try selling Helga indtead? :-D You will forget Prince of Darkness fun too!

I wish I had the money to buy her...last week our government put an increase of 150 euros to road tax to any vehicle first registered before 1995, while these registered after 2005 will benefit of a reduction of 18 euros...and they seem to classify the cars from year of first registration in Greece, not actual model year...guessed it? :-D :-D 46 euros current road tax for 747cc minus 18 euros is 38 euros a year plus 3-speed fun!

46 euros current road tax for 747cc minus 18 euros is 38 euros a year plus 3-speed fun!

Even better 46 euros minus 18 euros would give you 28 euros of 3-speed fun! :smile:

If you get a small enough engine will the Greek government pay you to keep your car on the road :?:

must say im tempted !

but luckily the 2 spaces i have are filled with projects already and i couldnt leave yours on the drive throughout the winter months
if it wa me id sell the other one as i know you say the other is nicer to jump into , the early ones look just so cool and you try finding another gem like that

Even better 46 euros minus 18 euros would give you 28 euros of 3-speed fun! :smile:

If you get a small enough engine will the Greek government pay you to keep your car on the road :?:

No unfortunately the lowest road tax category is that of 46 euros... :-(

I planned to sell the MG, but it's nice to have an open car, especially now I've fixed the trouble with the distributor.

If I were to hold on to Ornella (and I'm not going to great efforts to sell at the moment) I'd be tempted to improve usability. An 850 engine with 4 speed box, RHD conversion, later front suspension and rack, and 12 volts for the electrics would have her as i'd like, but that would ruin her, and besides Renault provided cars with that spec in the '70s. I'd be amazed if there are any other cars out there quite so original as Ornella so instead of messing I might repair my '66 car and stick a V8 in :D

The Gordini project is moving along swiftly and I'm going to need to rationalise my undercover parking.

I don't believe there are any other early R4s in the UK that are rust free and not in need of work. You can jump straight in and drive off into the sunset using every one of the 3 gears. If LHD is an issue I can throw in my RHD '66 car for use in conversion (it's very rusty, but many of the bits are good - I'll have anything back that you don't need).

All for £3500!

Don't miss out - I'm planning to advertise on the RCCC shortly (they all have 4CVs on there so an early 4 will be a luxury car for them :D).

Eee Luxury!

Its a shame as your lovely little 4 needs a nice warm home to live its retirement in.

She's not ready to retire yet! After hardly being used the last 40 years she's keen to get out a bit more.

One word .....

WOW!!

What a beautiful 1960's timepiece she is.
I wish i had the space, money and time to really give her the love she deserves.

My father lives in Murcia, Spain so maybe i could persuade him to buy.

Rick

..Malcolm, I bet no one knows ..

..That Ornella appeared in a Goodyear tyre advert a while ago?

That should make her even more of a star than she is already!!

• Ornella.jpg
    Ornella.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 378
since you're having a clear-out ,seems to me this would be a Very good idea to sell me the Gorde-motor c",) what will you fill all the empty space with then Malc? we don't like secrets so expect full report on here.

I'm not having that much of a clear out. :D

I'll still have the Gordini and Ermintrude. 2 cars are more than enough to look after. And of course there are all the other R4s here to keep me company.

agree with you Malcolm-2 cars is enough. I'm putting in new driveshafts on Roffen next week.Got an intake-manifold plus double Weber 32 on it's way,so might play around with these for a while. Now if only I could lay my hands on an exhaust-header I would be nearer my goal..
-seems autobleu-site is not working ,also get reports it's spreading malware
so look up!
haven't got any reply either so they seems content not selling at all!
Snow melting and soon gone-at long Last! -R.

Back