Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 Diesel

mike4gtl

Mad many would insit upon
No i haven't put the wrong fuel in.

I have this idea of dropping a late 1980's Renault 5 super Diesel engine into an R4 (maybe F6) I would like to keep the R4 4 speed gearbox but i have reserved a 1982 R5 5 speed box locally if i need/want it.

What i want to know is, apart from the usual bracket making and cable ammending, how hard do you think it will be ????

Does the 1.7 GTD engine even turn the same way as an 1108 engine? Also the 1108 is an in line engine and the 1.7 GTD is transverse, will this cause any problems? what about with the gearbox?

I will probably have to make my own backplate for the bellhousing to attach to but thats easy. Will the R4 spigot shaft fit into the R5 crank (will probably use R5 flywheel)

Alot to ask i know but an R4 diesel - what a novelty

• super 5 d engine.jpg
    super 5 d engine.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 423
  • r4 engine.jpg
    r4 engine.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 450
Diesel

That is a Mk2 Renault5 setup. It sits east-west in the engine bay. The R4 engine runs north -south. I cannot see an easy fix to your problem, butI can see why you would want to try.

Cheers,

David

being of the firm belief that Diesel was put on earth by the devil himself -I don't even understand Why you would even try the experiment..That's only my opinion tho' -R.

I thought the diesel engine was designed for use in tractors and the like, not to replace the sweet running petrol engine in the R4. Mike, please see the error of your ways, and get a grip!:D

Citroen Visa's were diesel and did 60mpg, My AX is diesel and does 76mpg on a run plus diesel is a greener fuel - save the planet man.

It was only an idea - i did wonder about the whole inline transverse thing though hmmm.??

Thank you R, welcome to the choir. Diesels, bah.:eek: Fair point Mike but tell China, India and the good old US of A about saving the planet. I don't think our efforts mean much in the scheme of things.:)

forgive me i dont know what this choir is?

This diesel engine has absolutely nothing in common with the GTL engine-even the petrol transverse engines which were essentially the same block, need too much work to be adapted to an R4.

So I don't think it's worth trying to install this particular engine on a 4. If you want to build a diesel R4 (interesting anyway) you could just start with any other (small) diesel engine and have to do the same, or even less, work.

they are nice engines, our works Kangoo has one under the hood, I assumed as the mk 2 R5 was available in diesel, it wouldn't be to hard to cobble together and the 1.7 non-turbo is enough for an R4

As there is so much to do I'd be looking at finding a nice light little diesel if I were going to do this!

I used to run a Peugeot XUD turbo in the back of our 1972 VW camper, boy did it go like stink!!!!

A Peugeot diesel engine in VW, tis the devils work afoot!:evil: Now a Porsche 911 motor, that would be more like it.:lol:

My mate works on little three cylinder Italian diesel engines, they're used to power the blowers that pump in cavity wall insulation. They're water cooled about 800cc as I remember. They are designed to run at various revs so the cam timing etc would be OK. When I saw the engine I thought R4 right away, a zillion MPG! and performance too.

A Peugeot diesel engine in VW, tis the devils work afoot!:evil: Now a Porsche 911 motor, that would be more like it.:lol:

A VW engine in a Volvo, they all share.

Not Bison, do you know the rev range of the diesel engines and what make thay are only some of these petit diesels can be horrendous to repair, cost wise i.e kubota - dont go there.

I'll ask him when I see him next, but I fear you are correct, they would be expensive if something goes wrong.
Alan.

You could always buy a french 'sans permis' - as long as you don't want to go more than about 45 kph. Think they are 2 or 3 cylinder Kubota's.
If you are going diesel the XUD range as fitted to Peugeots or Citroens are probably the best car / light commercial diesel engine ever in my opinion, I've probably doen the best part of 750,000 miles in vehicles fitted with them, and never had a problem (fingers crossed).

A VW engine in a Volvo, they all share.

Yes, I know what you are saying Mike, all manufacturers these days seem to share each others engines etc, it's all very confusing :confused:. You think you are buying a Saab with all that aero-technology and you get a bl--dy Vauxhall:smile:

If you're after longitudinally mounted Renault diesel engines you should have a look at the R18/Fuego models ... although I don't know if they can be mated to our R4's transmission ... the R20 must have had them as well, says St. Wikipedia

Robert

Back