Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 F4 Speedometer Drive Gear

Rogny Nick

Enthusiast
Hi everyone.
I am restoring a Spanish built 1989 F4 210B I am based in France but cannot find a replacement speedometer drive gear anywhere. It is white plastic (16 teeth - I think - I can't count them as it's "shredded"). I need a working speedometer for the Controle Technique (MOT). Please can anybody help.
Many thanks.
Nick

Hi everyone.
I am restoring a Spanish built 1989 F4 210B I am based in France but cannot find a replacement speedometer drive gear anywhere. It is white plastic (16 teeth - I think - I can't count them as it's "shredded"). I need a working speedometer for the Controle Technique (MOT). Please can anybody help.
Many thanks.
Nick
Hi Nick
This might help with the number of teeth:
1689246679900.jpeg

I have a speedo drive gear, correct teeth for my spanish F6, 16teeth, in Spain PM me through messages on forum if interestedimage.jpgp

The speedo drive gear has different ratios depending on the HA0 indice as @Andy McGhee showed.
This pdf might also come handy.

• HA0 gearbox indices and gearratios.pdf
    177.1 KB · Views: 13
Thanks for the info - really helpful. I'm almost certain, I'll check tomorrow, that my gearbox is HAO 146, which is (b) on the data sheet, with 16 teeth.

Be sure to check part no. 7700623376 on damage as well on your HA0 (zero not O ;)) gearbox, as part no. 7700623377 was "shredded".

The gear pictured above was for a HA0 gearbox in my F6, I have changed the gearbox in my for a GTL gearbox,, took gear out of previous box before scrapping box because I had same problems with a stripped gear for speedo, looking at my project thread this was @2018, even then I could only find correct gear drive cog stocked at DKS Italy, it iwas a NOS genuine Renault part before fitment.

The gear pictured above was for a HA0 gearbox in my F6, I have changed the gearbox in my for a GTL gearbox,, took gear out of previous box before scrapping box because I had same problems with a stripped gear for speedo, looking at my project thread this was @2018, even then I could only find correct gear drive cog stocked at DKS Italy, it iwas a NOS genuine Renault part before fitment.
Hi Ian. I had the same idea: I have friend here in France with a Savane (non-runner) he was scrapping, he said I could have the complete gearbox so, I removed it, only to find it was shot - lots of play and nasty grinding noises! Of course, the pinion in that has12 teeth and is red. My gearbox is lovely - apart from the speedo drive pinion! I'm wondering why your F6 pinion, with 16 teeth, is blue but my F4 16 teeth is white? Also, I cannot get the damn thing out: I've tried screwdriver, hammer, punch etc, but the bloody thing won't budge. It's now so damaged that, tomorrow, I'm going to use my multi-tool to cut it up in-situ and take it out one piece at a time. I would probably like to take your blue pinion: let me know how much you want for it and if it's possible to post to France (of course I'll pay postage). I'm having one final search with the Renault part numbers.
Cheers.
Nick

Are you sure your gearbox hasn’t already been changed for one out of saloon in the past, the white cog tallys with these, as said, went through this with my HAO 146 spanish 1985 van gearbox, indeed 16 teeth, old looked greeny/blue, new blue, the white cogs listed at the time were for the salon box.,

Thanks Andy and JdeW. After checking the part number (7700623377) I'm sure my gearbox is a HA0 146 with a (b) 16 teeth pinion (white) however, the identification tag on the gearbox (see below) doesn't tally with any of the numbers (354-06 and 789).

View attachment 32015
OK, the 354-06 is from a Fasa F6 Furgoneta (R 2370), year 1987 for engine codes C1E 718, C1E 719
As @laxeian wrote possibly the gearbox has been changed.

OK, the 354-06 is from a Fasa F6 Furgoneta (R 2370), year 1987 for engine codes C1E 718, C1E 719
As @laxeian wrote possibly the gearbox has been changed.
Ah..OK. So, if I have an F6 gearbox with 16 teeth speedo drive gear, Ian's part (also 16 teeth but blue, as opposed to mine being white, should be ok. By the way I'm not bothered if the speedometer reads incorrectly, as long as it moves, when on the "rolling road" - brake testing (I'll use my GPS to monitor my speed - except in tunnels, of course). By the way, Ian, is the body of the unit you have serviceable, as I've destroyed mine getting it out? If so, please can you let me know how to pay for it (PayPal perhaps). It may also be better if we communicate by e-mail or WhatsApp:
e-mail: nicklongstaff09@gmail.com
Phone: +44 7392 836757
Many, many thanks everyone, your combined knowledge and assistance is much appreciated.
Cheers.
Nick

By the way: I've just checked the wonderful spreadsheet you sent me and the R2370 can have the same ratios and pinion teeth as the R210B (my F4), with the Cleon engine.
Why the different colour though??

Hi Nick, the white outer part is serviceable,both came out of a fully operational box,€45 for both plus shipping,item could probably go straight mail in a jiffy type envelope from here if your in France we haven’t got to cross any troublesome channel or sleeve to complicate the simple. If your happy with that or registered delivery I will email you for your postcode etc to price/arrange shipping etc.

Hi Nick, the white outer part is serviceable,both came out of a fully operational box,€45 for both plus shipping,item could probably go straight mail in a jiffy type envelope from here if your in France we haven’t got to cross any troublesome channel or sleeve to complicate the simple. If your happy with that or registered delivery I will email you for your postcode etc to price/arrange shipping etc.
That's fine Ian, e-mail me and we'll sort it out.
Cheers.
Nick

Hi everyone.
I think that I've finally resolved the speedo drive problem. I've found a new (old stock) 16 teeth white pinion, part number 7700623377 at All4renault, Portugal and ordered it (57€00!!!). We'll see if it arrives!! (Paid by PayPal just in case). The only issue I now have is trying to remove the body, with the wrong gear (red), from the knackered gearbox my friend gave me without damaging it too much. If I can't, All4renault do have a body in stock at 127€00!!!!. Hope I don't need to go there.
Once again, thank you for all your help - much appreciated.
Cheers.
Nick

not very complicated, you have to completely remove the 6mm screw with its lock nut, then you take pliers and you pull the cable drive square upwards.
normally it comes easily, the socket which guides the pinion. With age, some plastics in contact with oil (or its additives) tend to become overweight and are sometimes a hassle to get out.
Anyway it's just slipped in, it's the screw that holds everything.
1689501764750.png

The whole assembly consist of 4 parts so beware not to damage the seal (part no. 15) on top.
Pignon de commande tachymètre boite 354.jpg

And be sure you've got the right pinion with gear orientation as there are different versions for Cleon or Billancourt engine with 354 (HA0) gearboxes.
1689502111742.png

Last edited:
Thanks Andy and JdeW. After checking the part number (7700623377) I'm sure my gearbox is a HA0 146 with a (b) 16 teeth pinion (white) however, the identification tag on the gearbox (see below) doesn't tally with any of the numbers (354-06 and 789).

View attachment 32015

Oops, I've got to refine my earlier answer, I wrote it a bit to fast "OK, the 354-06 is from a Fasa F6 Furgoneta (R 2370), year 1987 for engine codes C1E 718, C1E 719
As @laxeian wrote possibly the gearbox has been changed."

See the attachement about the HA0 (354) and HA1 gearboxes. The 354-06 is a FASA build gearbox and has some differences according the speedo drive gear which has the ratio 7/17 so you need a 17 teeth pinion.

• MR-BV-HA.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Back