Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 F4 Speedometer Drive Gear

The blue gear was the correct one to get for my fasa built totally original 1985 running F6, full history van, it was bought to replace an identical toothed one ( faded blue, known original van gearbox), and was not easy to source, at the time (2018) the only places that stocked both the white berlina gear and blue van gear at this time was DKS Italy and one place in Holland, both places only had white gear about a year ago. ie the gear shown was for and worked in a Fasa van because of this I removed the gear as I could see they were fast becoming unobtainium when I scraped original box.
The GTL box I have replaced the van box with has a white gear.

OK. All4Renault in Portugal didn't have the 16 teeth pinion after all, despite taking 57€00 off me. Instead they tried to sell me the gearbox end-plate, complete with white 16 teeth pinion for...wait for it....364€00 plus shipping!!!! I told them to clear off and demanded an immediate refund. However, that does still leave me pinion-less. I've decided, no other choice but, to remove the plastic gear off the end of the final drive and the speedo pinion gear from the knackered gearbox. (Red 12 teeth). It will give me a false speedometer reading but, by this stage I'm beyond caring. I need to fabricate a special tool (a thin 28mm open-ended spanner to remove the gear) and remove the gearbox top cover to lock the final drive to facilitate undoing this gear). Still it's better than spending 364€00!!
If anybody knows of a 3D printer it may be worth knocking up a few 16 teeth pinion gears because, I have searched the globe and it is no longer available anywhere.

I know. The problem is, you don't know if you're getting a good one. The one I have in the vehicle is excellent - apart from the speedo drive. The spare gearbox I have, which is very rough, does have good speedo drive gears (ok the wrong number of teeth) but, I'd rather change the gears than acquire another knackered second hand gearbox.

Looking at your other thread photos the gear I have is incorrect, my blue gear is for the F6 van gearbox, the white gears for 4L/Gtls gearboxes, I got my number of teeth reversed earlier in thread, my blue wheel for van gearbox is 18 teeth ( countable in photo). I do still have all thats in photo.

Back