Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 restoration made in France

I hate taking off that plastic grille! It feels like it's going to break and I always end up hurting myself. There is a trick to make it easier though. Once you have levered it off enough to get a small gap, slip a long cable tie behind it until it pokes out the bottom. Then you can slide the cable tie sideways until it is very close to the clips, and pull hard without risk of breaking the grille.

I love all these shiny nuts, washers, and bolts!
That was a great idea to have them galvanized!

Hi,
I carefully fitted the nut cages to fit the inner wings, Renault put 7 mm ones but I didn't be able to find these kind of parts, so I chose 6 mm ones:
755 Montage cage-écrou.jpg
I used the same seal as the pedal-box to fit the inner wing:
757 Pose joint.jpg
Then I installed the first of my "famous" fiberglass inner wings which fit perfectly on the car, except the outside view, no one can guess they are made in fiberglass:
759 Montage doublure.jpg
760 Vue extérieure.jpg
After tightening all the bolts and nuts:
763 Joue gauche montée.jpg
Then I continued to fit the accessories in the engine bay:
765 Quincaillerie compartiment.jpg
766 Cric et agrafes.jpg
768 Compartiment moteur.jpg
769 Vue de face.jpg
The following (boring) job was to fit the heather radiator in the car:
770 Repose radiateur chauffage.jpg

Snoopy:

I must say that i am very "jealous" on your note-book.

It goes so much in details that i must love it.

I have tried doing something similar but not even close to yours

Perfection how you are assembling your R4 is perfection that I am aiming to.

Please, continue doing such perfect job, and do not stop posting pictures here.

Petak, indeed, my note-book really do help me to remember how some details are fitted, but even with that, I have to admit that sometimes I'm completely lost :eek: :eek: :eek: My second blue GTL is precious, I often go to the engine bay and other to see how it's built !...

All the hardware has been zinc plated, I find that it makes the final touch :cool:

You are doing a great job there snoopy. Do you think you will need a heat-shield where the exhaust passes through the inner wing? Burning fibre-glass is not good :eek: A nice piece of polished stainless steel would do the job and look good.

You are doing a great job there snoopy. Do you think you will need a heat-shield where the exhaust passes through the inner wing? Burning fibre-glass is not good :eek: A nice piece of polished stainless steel would do the job and look good.

Exact, I often wonder if this kind of thing would be useful, or totally useless :confused: Some people tell that I would have to install such a part, the hood of my Lotus Super Seven is made in fiberglass and I effectively put an insulation to protect the fiberglass and paint:
AW.Collage isolant capot.jpg

If I have to do the same thing on the R4, as you told me I will have to put a "NICE" piece of polished stainless steel or other not to waste the rest of the job...

In another genre, for those who are interested, here is a fast summary of the beginning of the story, with an awesome music of an english band: Incognito :D :D :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4kzFoUWXg0

I would see, use some heat wrap like I did on the manifold and downipe :
jzb9k3.jpg

Keeps the heat inside , also see : http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5519&page=2

And as I am very busy with my winterproject, the Quatrelle Sport, a complete composite car ,so out of fiberglass and alumnium parts you can use a part of welding-blanket and laminate it.

See : http://www.harborfreight.com/4-ft-x-6-ft-fiberglass-welding-blanket-67833.html

I am not to this part yet, but you can follow my polly on : http://jeffr4.weebly.com/design--build-a-new-kitcar-quatrelle-sport.html

And a very nice job Snoopy !!
344cu1l.gif

Thanks you jeffr4 ;) At the reading of your comments, I think I'm going to order an insulation for the exhaust, I don't want to take the risk of damaging the paint or fiberglass :eek: :eek: I started to work on the wiring loom... you know what ? I hate electricity ! I fit old bulbs and plates to try to put on the wiring loom:
772 Circuit lampes avant.jpg
773 Circuit feux arrière.jpg
Even if the first tries worked correctly, there were always strange things: the lever of the indicators put on the rear lights for example... Considering the rear wiring loom has been already tinkered, I decided to remove evrything and make a new one with new wire strand. Mine is more simply and the main difference is also that every element has its own negative earth, which goes to the battery:
776 Faisceau arrière sorti.jpg
777 Faisceau fil à fil.jpg
779 Branchement raccord.jpg
809 Schéma faisceau arrière.jpg
This days, I started working on my car at 9.00 AM, 10 hours later all my electricity was ok, Undoubtedly I'm really not bright :rolleyes:
780 10 heures plus tard.jpg
781 Eclairage fonctionnel.jpg
I ended this day by fitting the battery bought the day before ;) Oh, I forgot to tell you that my little tamed friend was there to support me :rolleyes:
783 Repose batterie.jpg

Hi everybody,

here are some news of my car, after ending the wiring loom, I started to fit he interior, at first the dashboard was carefully cleaned, and renewed with a special product, that I used on every outside and inside plastic parts:
785 Planche avant nettoyage.jpg
786 Planche rénovée.jpg
795 Intérieur.jpg
As I'm completely lashed, I took the screw of the rocket panel protectors and painted their head in black to have a nice result :rolleyes: As you can see the handbrake light wire has not the same way than Renault did it, I prefer mine, more discreet:
789 Peinture tête de vis.jpg
790 Vis peintes.jpg
791 Fil témoin frein à main.jpg
After washing, the headline top has been refitted:
798 Ciel de toit reposé.jpg
Then the exhaust system with all the hardware and bushes in new or restored, please notice that I didn't do the same treatment on the muffler because I think, considering this part is visible, it's more esthetic in bright gray :D
799 Eléments échappement.jpg
800 Quincaillerie échappement.jpg
While I was under the car I took advantage of it totake a picture of the underneath of the chassis... except the dust on the tank, I love it :cool: :cool:
802 Vue dessous.jpg

You were lashed? That's no condition to work on your car!

(I have no idea what you mean, but it sounds like one of our infinite words for being drunk)

It's clear that I wasn't drunk ! I looked for a word which seems "crazy", I admit that to paint even the head of the bolts is really "too much" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

... I admit that to paint even the head of the bolts is really "too much" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Not at all, don't say this Alexandre !!!
Fingerwag.gif

And I can't express how jealous I am of all these little shiny zinc platetd washers, bolts and nuts you have there.
I wish I had done something like that with all my little rusty parts when I did my resto back then!

Keep the pictures coming!
Drool.gif

Cheers,

David

P.S. - I sent you an e-mail this morning -

BTW - Alexandre, are you sure you have the front torsion bars set right?
To me it looks like you have too much tension on them!

I know, your car is still missing seats, doors, wings, hood, and bumpers but I guess that your front axle shouldn't be that high.

You know my F6 and that it is pretty high on the front.
So compare these two pics and decide for yourself:

• 802 Vue dessous.jpg
    802 Vue dessous.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 261
  • Unterboden.jpg
    Unterboden.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 261
Back