Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R5 gearbox

Your not keeping up Stan
if e4gtl has got a 5 ts box it should have ha1 03 or 04 tag on it and consider opinion is not any real gain just gives you a choice of 5 gears to choose from not 4
E4gtl if you confirm tag number the box value may go up or down
Me I threw all 03 and 04 boxes away about 10 years back

That is right Mr-reno-139......if it is TS gearbox (03/04) than it is one that wont give you anything. Just more gears to play with.

But one questions is coming to my mind.

Are gearboxes 01/02 and 03/04 almost the same except final drive? fiscally/housing/clutch/everything else except final drive?

Can that final drive from 01/02 be put on 03/04? Or made separately and just change it on 03/04 gearbox?

I mean gears are made somehow, somewhere and maybe there is someone who can made it from drawing!

Without having ever taken any r4/5 box of any sort to pieces I can only say the pinion is attached to mainshaft and unless by some remote chance their is a secret supply somewhere we are stuck
I do have a physical copy of workshop manual but unless the 4 speed main shaft with correct number of teeth is exactly same length unlikely
Which would be another idea

I believe that we did not understand each other.

I am talking about 5 speed gearboxes.

If i (just thought) buy HA1-03/04 gearbox Is it possible to put final drive form HA1 01/02 gearbox on it?
No mater where or is it possible to find final drive form 01/02!

Or i did not understand you correctly :dontknow:

My answer was based on the only place you would get the 01 /02 parts would be in another gearbox
And then you would not need to buy 03 /04 box
Who is going to have such rare gearbox pieces lying around
To fabricate such pieces will cost far too much
The estafette van pieces have been made new production now available for higher ratio at €2000 euros
My thoughts were based on the slim possibility that as ha 1 box based on 4 speed which has lots of ratios listed for crown wheel and pinion
Somehow it would be possible
As I said over the 40 years I have only kept the pieces I saw as saleable or useful to me
I must of scrapped a 1000 renaults all sorts
If I kept every part where could I put it all

How the hell am I supposed to keep up with the above Paul with my limited brain power Lol.
It was a bonny day yesterday here so I decided to take her out a run taking particular note of the gearing. Her comfy speed (on the speedo ) is about 65 to 70mph, she drives and runs along the road really nicely at that. So I suppose as you say there is no need really to add an extra gear.
I think I said above somewhere that my main concern was, is the standard 1100 box strong enough ? And is the 5spd any stronger ? Saying that she doesn't get any hard use.

Ok getting bored now
The ha1 box in desirable form has 10 pinion gesrbox shaft teeth and 31 on differential crownwheel
This is same as r1128 gtl 4 speed r4
Meaning selecting 5th drops rpm or increases speed of car at same rpm
The other ha 1 is 8 and 29 which is because at the time of ts and tx
To sell sporty cars 0 to 60 mph more important than mpg
The 5 speed versions are based on 4 speed with extra gear on end
No stronger bearings fitted anywhere and 80 bhp unlikely to break it
Beyond that the gordini box is bigger heavier and a pain to fit in r4

Everything else has been covered now
I even offered a perfect o1 box attached to 1289 engine on this very forum for several years it remsined unsold at 150gbp and couldn't even convince Reidalpine to get it off me !!!
How the hell am I supposed to keep up with the above Paul with my limited brain power Lol.
It was a bonny day yesterday here so I decided to take her out a run taking particular note of the gearing. Her comfy speed (on the speedo ) is about 65 to 70mph, she drives and runs along the road really nicely at that. So I suppose as you say there is no need really to add an extra gear.
I think I said above somewhere that my main concern was, is the standard 1100 box strong enough ? And is the 5spd any stronger ? Saying that she doesn't get any hard use.

The HA1 5 speed is just an HA0 4 speed with an extra gear bolted onto the front so won't be any stronger. I've never heard of anyone having problems with the 4 speed.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to put the crownwheel and pinion from a R4 box into the 5 speed box to increase the ratio. I wouldn't do that for the 1108, but it might make sense for the 1397 engine.

Posting at the same time as Paul there. I'll check the book to see if it is possible.

Just to let you know the pictures are different with longer shaft attached to pinion
Some clever people modified R8 gearboxes to 5 speed by machining both down cutting reverse thread on both parts and then loctiting together
This is going to be beyond me let alone poor Stan

You are right there - looks a 1 piece shaft with the pinion attached. I'm keen for higher gearing on the TX. Anyone with an overgeared R5 GTL box fancy swapping for a racey T5 TX box?

Lol, I really cant think that there is anything R4 that's beyond you Mr Cunningham.

Methinks I'll just stick with what I've got since it's all working very well. Many thanks to all contributing to this thread, it's good to hear all the different views and opinions which answered my initial enquiry and more besides.
Cheers Stan.

For anyone that is interested (Malcolm or Petak) I have a 5-speed box with 10/31 final drive, that I was always thinking of converting to 9/31 final drive, as it would suit better the type of roads I encounter (we have a lot of hills / mountains here). I don't know if the whole gearbox is in good shape, plus it is very heavy so postage in both ways would be too expensive, so I am considering swapping only the crownwheel / pinion. If anyone has a 9/31 CWP I would be more than happy to do so!
Last summer I got a quote from a reputable gear cutting firm (the only one here able to cut hypoid gears) for a crownwheel/pinion for a Lancia Fulvia gearbox, which technically is just like ours. They gave me a quote of 1000€. This is reasonable considering the labor it demands, but still too expensive for anything that can be sourced secondhand for less than half this price.

Hi angel
I hope you enjoyed my attempts at explain all about ha 1 boxes for beginners
Maybe I provide entertainment for the other technical experts here and you are waiting to see if I get it wrong so you can correct any mistakes I make

Really hope that you are enjoying my silly questions about gearbox.

Have never hold or seen (beside photo) ha1 gearbox. Taking apart only in my dreams.
And here is only place where i can ask that kind of questions as i know that "here live" masters of R4:waving:

Realize that production of gear is expensive and probably not affordable but it was just a tough.

Here i can not find any ha1 gearbox even to start to play with.
But angel if you ever decide to throw away that ha1-01 gearbox let me know and i will buy final drive just to keep it in garage on wall as decoration.

Looks as i do not have any other way but to go with car to Greece and bring gearbox hope.
It would be nice trip and vacation with the twist at the end :D

Angel do you know how heavy gearbox is? Much heavier than HA0 in R4 GTL?

I would gladly upgrade my R4 (or second one) with bigger engine and 5speed box but everything is far away (across border) and shipping cost fortune

I am going to try again
I've got 4 on display now i am going to screen shot it as I bet they dissappear like the last lot

To insert smileys click the smiley at the top of the reply box and select one. Doesn't work using the smileys on your phone.

Angel - I think I have located a R5 GTL gearbox in the UK, though the condition is unknown. Postage for a whole gearbox would be around 100 euros so buying one from the UK would be much cheaper than having the parts made. See https://www.parcel2go.com/

Back