Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R5 MK1 Parts

David Sutton

Hi, I'm trying to locate the following pats:

1. Left and right hand rear grill (above the indicator lights
2. Indicator stalk - mine is very loose, or somewhere that can refurbish this item
3. UK headlights

In the good old days, I would go to my local breakers and remove the parts needed, happy to do this still, but don't know of any old fashioned breakers with R5's

Thanks for any help you can give.

I have got some mk1 5 parts still sround i dont need
what year is car switch changed in 79 onwards
It is common for the locating screws to fallout if it actually still works worth checking
No grilles possibly find headlamps again different on later cars as use h4 halogen about 82 on
There is a forum member called bantamallen check spelling on here who is in Wales and scrapped lots of mk 1 5
I do have his mobile number as we have been in recent contact but pm me first or find my mobile on my profile in formation here

Thanks for your quick reply.

My car is 1981 - re the locating screws, assume you are referring to the indicator stalk. I assume I can spot these if I remove the upper and lower casing.

I'm located in North Wales.

Hi David, I have some column stalks , rear grilles and headlights which are not brilliant but may be better than what you have. I am currently laid up after an operation so can't go lifting stuff but if you can wait a week I'm sure I can find them. I am near Carmarthen, where are you
Allan

Hi Allan,

Me too, just had a hip replacement, so could be a few weeks before I'm mobile.

That's great news and thanks for your swift reply. I'm up near Machynlleth, but could tie in a trip down south that could coincide with meeting you, as and when you have a chance to look out your stock.

Kind regards
David

Hi Allan, I am attaching a picture of the indicator stalk - I'm hoping you have a replacement that is the same model, before any changes. As you can see, I'm also missing the blanking rubber.

IMG_2807.JPG

Hi Allan,

I also seem to be missing the jack, is this an item you may have.

Thanks, appreciate you taking a look at your stock in due course.

Regards
David

Your Renault 5 must be quite an early one as that switch is pre 1981

Hi Paul,

It's supposed to be a 1981 car, but went from France to Italy and back to France where I bought it. May have had the indicator/light stalks replaced in it's lifetime I guess. Will pre 81 and post 80 stalks fit?
David

Not that simple as wiring all different there is only a single stalk each side on later cars

I suspect I have the answer. My car is an R5 Turbo, the first derivative, part aluminium. It seems that all the original first generation Turbos had a twin stalk. Interestingly, this is also the case the with the last factory race derivative, the Maxi, built in 1984/5 - may have had something to do with homoligation.
Daivd

The mid engined 5 models aren't really comparable as they were hand built and lots of unique parts and would be no direct comparison to normal 5 parts fitting date changes all turbo 1 built left hand drive but think some got converted to rhd
Ps parts are worth more for these models ☺
Have got a friend who has john prices Phillips blue rally car in his collection
Also fitted a clutch to one few years back

Strange went to look at my friends turbo 1 20150723_164729.jpg20150723_164803.jpg 20150723_164822.jpgI also found an early stalk when tidying up but looks like lhd and rhd different 20150723_183918.jpg20150723_183918.jpg

Fantastic, thanks for looking into this, I really appreciate it.

I think the T1 in the picture has been fitted with a T2 set of stalks. I attach a picture grabbed off You Tube of a blue T1 just to confirm the original layout.

Yes, sadly, it seems that a right hand drive has the stalks on the opposite side - this could be a stumbling block unless any members have a stock of left hookers.

• Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 22.12.19.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-23 at 22.12.19.png
    564.2 KB · Views: 1
Have you actually had a closer look at your car to see what is broken maybe it is repairable the switch is attached iswith a roll pin and suspect the light stalk common to lhd rhd
Maybe in 1980 when Renault started supplying shells to be converted somewhere from the older stock and the one of my pictures was built a few months later

Good thinking - as you suggest, perhaps all the internals are the same LHD & RHD, just housed in alternative shell.
I am getting the car back week after next, I'll take a look and see exactly what the problem that the garage have found and confirm.
Thanks for your help. All other parts still needed.

I guess which car has now got my last pair of new headlamps from my stock if you want to ring me and talk Direct my phone number is accessible by clicking on my profile and then about me all details something like that

I guess which car has now got my last pair of new headlamps from my stock if you want to ring me and talk Direct my phone number is accessible by clicking on my profile and then about me all details something like that
Hello again Paul.
I hope I don't get into trouble posting this message here. I just stumbled on this item for sale in Lisbon [via my laptop in sunny Wales]
I had a look on Wiki, and they say these were marketed by Renault.
It's wet my curiosity a bit:

http://www.custojusto.pt/lisboa/ligeiros-passageiros/renault-4-teilhol-16980526

best regards

Back