Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R6 850cc

Today the man who is going to weld the chassis came and inspected the car.
He has many years experience of Renault and particularly the renault 4 and 6.
I will deliver the chassis in two weeks time when it will be striped bare and media blasted before we begin.
Everything will then be brought to a good standard and the new suspension and steering components refitted.
The 6 will then be sitting on a platform worthy of a restoration.

The R6 chassis has gone off for welding and the garage seems very empty without it.

chw11.jpg

The chassis has all the normal r 4 problems but the back legs seem solid however it is going for blasting before the repairs so there may well be some surprises.

The original wheels have been blasted and powder coated with new tyres and tubes so moving it about is much easier.

chw12.jpg

Now the chassis has gone to the welder the engine build is well underway with some parts off to the machine shop and the block fully dismantled and ready to be cleaned and painted.

The body is now back on wheels but not the ones Renault intended these one were made by John Pigeon.

wheels1.jpg

I bought a soda blaster to clean the panels so perhaps I can soon try it out.
Gary

Last edited:
You've got to the exciting part of the project!

Surprised you are using inner tubes. Modern tyres are rough inside and wear them away very quickly. R4/R6 wheels shouldn't need them.

I thought that but they told me the rims requires tubes which was a pain as they were an extra £63.
Gary

No R4 wheels need inner tubes. And you can't easily get the tyres to suit tubes anyway. Tyre place wants educating.

I agree with malcolm, the rims don't require tubes, take them back and get your money back!

You've been miss sold them in my opinion! Even my old BB with knackered Gordini rims which were notorious for losing air when they were current only loses a couple of pounds a month on one tyre, all the rest are fine!

That's very interesting...for years I have been hearing from tyre "experts" that these wheels (old style R4 ones, not GTL) are not designed for tubeless tyres, so i always had tubes fitted...
Never had any problems with tubes, though and only had three or four punctures in 15 years of R4 ownership...tubes can be found easily and cheaply here, too, at around 5 euros each.

Malcolm It might be coming to the exiting time in the project but it it also becomes more scary.
The main problem is mission creep. I think to myself well I will get a better job if I remove that part and then the next and the next.
I now realize it would be sensible to paint the body off the chassis as I do not want overspray on all the new parts on the chassis , but then I have the risk of damaging the paint when I remount the body.
I am getting to the point close to taking everything off the body but will I remember how to put it all back?
I am after all restoring an 850cc R6 with no real value but only a handful left in UK. At best I will end up with the best early 6 in the UK but still worth no more than £2000, it is a good job I am doing it for the pleasure of saving a rare car from the scrap yard.
Spares do not seem too hard to find ,so far parts have come from UK, Spain, Italy, Greece, Germany, Argentina, and of course France.
What a difference the internet has made to the classic car world.
Gary

Mission creep - I know it well. :D

I'd be inclined to paint the body off the chassis - sit it on when you fit all the panels on and then lift it off to paint. Ought to go back on without damage. It's much easier to use some sort of lift. I raised and lowered mine on Thule straps suspended from the roof rafters.

Hi Barnfind you asked how my project was going ,I am afraid it has stopped.
I have had a close family bereavement and have been tied up for the past month. I will have to return to Scotland next week to finish sorting things out and then to Spain for 6 weeks so there will be no more progress until November.
Pity as I was in full flow and I always find it difficult to pick up the pieces when I have a long stop but thats how things turn out sometimes.
You are now aware that Simon P has taken on the other project and I am sure he will do a good job and another car will have been saved.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. We'll keep the flag flying whilst you are out of circulation and look forward to your return.

Due to a family bereavement all work has stopped for the past 5 weeks and I will be abroad for the next 6 weeks however hopefully some progress will be made. Another club member has taken on the task of finishing the rebuild of the engine while I am away and today the tub went of to Barkstone refinishing http://www.barkstonrefinishing.co.uk/index.html for welding and painting.

David Sharman who runs the business has a reputation for good quality work so I am looking forward to seeing the results.

When I returm home I hope to be able to fit out the chassis and install the engine and gearbox the chasssis will then rejoin the tub so that the remainder of the body work can be undertaken.

barkston1.jpg

I hope this is the last time I will see the tub in this condition as it starts the journey to the body shop.

Last edited:
Looking forward to progress on your return. Good plan getting someone else to do the paint - I hate doing that bit.

Pug looks interesting too.

Visited the chassis this week. as always when it was blasted it was much worse than expected.

cb13.jpg

cb3.jpg

cb4.jpg

cb2.jpg

cb9.jpg

After many hours the chassis is now 100% and waiting fitting out.
The body was even worse and is having extensive welding at the coach works before painting.

cb7.jpg

cb8.jpg

cb18.jpg

cb19.jpg

cb21.jpg

Chassis should be back home soon then I will fit the engine and gearbox before reuniting with the body.

Last edited:
Visited the body shop preparing and painting the body.
The body is now done apart from replacing the sills which are awaiting the Chassis. I hope to have the chassis down to them before Christmas and then we should have some real progress to report.

6innerrearr.jpg

6innerrearl.jpg

Is that the original paint inside the rear end? That body looks really good!

No the original panels were very bad and have been remade by David Sharman.It is now primed ready for paint.
The welding has been extensive but has been done to restoration standard rather than repair.
Gary

Back