Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

SOLD White 1993 4L for sale

benjjj

I am selling my brilliant 1993 4GTL Clan. Left Hand Drive, originally French from Calvados, it has done 120000kms. I have just driven around France in it Portsmouth -Toulouse -Nice - Provence - Toulouse -Lyon- Paris, and it was perfect. However en route home to the boat from Normandy the gear box started making lots of noises and my mechanic says it will cost about £400 for a new one. MOT runs out this month and everything else is fine. I no longer need the car and would have sold it for about £1000 before the gearbox problem, according to prices here. So if someone wishes to tow it off and get it fixed it is at my mechanics' garage in Portsmouth - i'll take offers around £500 and you'll have a great runner after.

• 4 in Nice.jpg
    4 in Nice.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 806
  • 4 in Provence.jpg
    4 in Provence.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 825
  • 4 in St Tropez.jpg
    4 in St Tropez.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 815
Wow, that was quick, is it a forum member? Anyway, well done.

Sold to a man of exemplary taste I expect Brian

- To a man who is never separated from his wallet (normally)
- To a man who star sign is Gemini
- To a man who can straighten a bent Crankshaft over his knee.
- To a man who can tell you the name of a Fleetwood Mac song after one and a half bars
- To a man who stores his Spanners in his garage in the S section
- To a man who doesn't draw marker pen lines around his tools on his Wall of Tools so he knows where they live. (I prefer a Wall of Sound)
- To a man whose Family has been in the motor trade since before most of us were born
- To a man who, when needed, used the excuse that he couldn't help as he was waiting in for DHL to deliver his Crystal Ball.

All in all, to a man someone like you Brian - passionate about old cars, lives south of the Watford Gap and who likes nothing better than jumping in his R4 and trogging off to a wet County Show - in your case the wonderful Royal Cornwall Show in Wadebridge.

So Team, any ideas who bought it ?

Not me

I didnt buy it. Looked good all the same.

Here I am from a soggy Cornwall. I think Ian, we might be talking about a certain chap who's into Citroens, and is rather good at pruning trees, as well as fettling engines. Am I right?:smile:

You may or may not be correct Brian

But as a Devon boy, I am not allowed to let Cornish boys know whats going on East of the Saltash Bridge, even though I have a feeling you may not be as Cornish as the name Brian Trelawney suggests...

I think you once told me that the Cornish and French fishing industry should have a level playing field to compete on, although I knew you meant a level English Channel - well fear not dear boy, this is the state of the French fishing fleet in Brittany!!

• IMG_0479 e.jpg
    IMG_0479 e.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 675
I've changed my views of late.

That's a very sad Ian, and at the end of the day they are all seafarers and members of the same brotherhood, so to see people's livelihood as rusting hulks up on a beach is a very sobering sight. Oh and I'm Cornish by adoption me ansum, meaning I'm just about accepted down here after 46 years:D, though my better half is a Plymouth girl.

I am not good at tree felling if working near Serbrus (?) Pines

Hi Mike, I think this must be an "in joke", not sure of the significance of Serbrus Pines. Please enlighten us.:confused:

As a marine insurance bod I wanted to share my sorrow at the sight of those neglected hulls. Let's raise a glass to all mariners. And wish these brave folk better times ahead. There are currently too many very sad stories on both sides of 'La Manche'.

Well said that man. Having spent a few years at sea myself on big ships I take my hat off to the brave souls who bring the fruits of the sea to our dinner plates.

The Serbrus Pines business wasn't an 'in joke' Brian

Michael had got the name wrong - it is actually called a Pinus Strobus.

Generally Michael has managed to drop most of the branches he cuts down on to a sixpence (old money) but while I was away on Colorado Beetle patrol, he cut a branch at the same time as he was thinking what he was going to do if he won the £56million Euromillions draw that week and managed to miss the sixpence by at least Seven and Six (old money) and the branch took off most of the branches on my much prized Pinus Strobus. You can see what I mean in these pics

So, the moral of the tale for all of us is never think what you are going to do with your Euromillions win while tree felling!!

• IMG_0573 e.jpg
    IMG_0573 e.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0575 e.jpg
    IMG_0575 e.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 108
Connecting the dots a different way - Pinus Strobus is a member of the White Pine group, tall examples of were prized as 'mast' pines for the tall ships of yore.

according to Mr Wikipedia. . .

Isn't this site wonderful?

We have gone from White 1993 4L for sale, to who bought it, to Royal Cornwall Show, to French fishing fleet, to 'in jokes', to Seven and Six old money, to Marine Insurance, to raising glasses to Mariners the world over, to Pinus Strobus and now on to Tall Ships masts

All due to young Michael, the tree feller - Keep this one going Team and lets see if we can somehow get back to White 1993 4L for Sale..

Look what you started Malcolm - brilliant

And any comments from Mexico, Javier? I sent you a pm a while ago but no reply yet?

What is colorado beetle called in france again Ian? and how swolen are your berries now (blue) ofcourse

Doryphores = Colorado Beetle Michael

And yes, the Blueberries are plumping up well as are the Stanberries and Cherries.

I have had a thought - its been a while since we heard from Malcolm and Pepper isn't it - we can't keep this site going all by ourselves can we?

Perhaps they have both gone off on the Fenny Compton to Marrakesh via Stagsden Rally ?

Report in both of you before we send out a search party...

• MB fruit.jpg
    MB fruit.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 107
Does anyone on here prefere kettle chips to doritos sweet chili?

Doritos are ok, but Kettle Sea Salt and Vinegar are spot on. Ah, back to things maritime. It is quite amazing how we manage to go off on a tangent now and then. I expect our overseas friends will be saying - those crazy Brits.
Ian, Pinus Strobus sounds like a medical complaint, but I can understand how you could be proud of your fine specimen.:D

Ian's pinus strobus was planted in the wrong place.

I did however learn the blueberry bushes like acid (like a drug) rich soil and that strobus pine needles are high in acid so when it gets shreaded and spread onto the nicely cut veg patch the berries will be like Ian's Dutch friends melons.

And Your right Cornish, now that I accidentally stripped all the branches off one side it does look like a mast. A hoy!

Back