Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

tow bar

Chassis legs have inner structural strength at that hols for bolts....So there is no possibility to damage chassis legs at all by tightening bolt that support tow bar.

Here is picture inside chassis legs at that hols
IMG_20150812_191312.jpg

So it does not matter if plates are on both sides of chassis legs or only at one side.

It just "looks" more robust if they are on both side.

The towbars mentioned by e.g. "Petak" are not as robust as the genuine Renault article. This has supporting plates which fit round both sides of the chassis legs, so one can tighten the bolts up fully without worrying about damaging the chassis legs themselves.

I've dug out an old part number for this item : 77 01 384 303. Possibly someone may be able to trace an illustration.
now been offered two genuine items, going back this week with info that i have gleaned for another look, auction is friday.

Chassis legs have inner structural strength at that hols for bolts....So there is no possibility to damage chassis legs at all by tightening bolt that support tow bar.

View attachment 18146

So it does not matter if plates are on both sides of chassis legs or only at one side.

I love it when myths are dispelled . Thanks for showing that picture. I'd not seen that before.

View attachment 18146

Yes, you're quite right there Petak, but the shown inner structural strength points are normally for the rear bumper mounting brackets, and yes they can be used for towbar support. Great picture by the way and as you told earlier, this is one of the rear chassisleg you've build by yourself? Great job!!

But as I've seen 6 or 7 different types of towbar solutions for a R4 (Berlines and Fourgonnets) the most towbars have extended mounting arms.
You'll have to drill an extra hole in the rear chassis legs, fit a sort of stiffener bus which guides the towbar bolts and than you can fit the towbar properly.
But that last DIY thingie is where it will go wrong in a near future, as seen here in my thread.
For me, I will make a modification on my rear chassis legs, they will get extra inner structual strengtning points for my towbar.

Jdew.....yes you are right. This is chassis leg i build from scratch. But again according to details taken from original renault part .
I have just modified it so it can be easily made without heavy press bench.

It is always better to transfer load on bigger area of egzisting structure.

Back