Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

what's the secret to a good joke?

Melissa

Enthusiast
Timing...well that's my 1st job with my new old Renault..I know it's a simple job but it's been years since I did it.
I've just ordered new dizzy cap..the centre fell out when I was inspecting it!, points, condenser, prob leads & air filter..as they all look rather old.
Looks to me that the timing is too advanced..hopefully you knowledgeable peeps can help..please!
If I turn the crank until the points are open fully then the rotor arm should be just before the no 1 cylinder..that's right yes? It is actually after it at the moment, the previous owner did say that someone had turned the whole dizzy round & at this point I should be able to see the timing marks on the crankcase at 6 (?)BTDC..I can't see any marks at all where my arrow points ! Until my new bits arrive I can't really set things up but just thought I'd run this by you..thanks!

cheers Frederick..I thought so..yes 1st purchase was the Haynes..& the 2nd needs to be a dwell meter methinks! Are the marks on the flywheel..out of the factory? I can't see anything on it at all

it's the older Bilancourt 850 so I think it goes in the opp direction to Freddie's dizzy re advance & retard?

Hi Melissa,
The Billancourt or Ventoux engine runs in the oppositie direction as the Cleon. You are correct there.
But the dizzy runs clockwise like the Cleon.
With 4 stroke engines there are two top dead centre points. One at the end of the compression stroke and one at the end of the exhaust stroke.

So you might be 180 degrees off with finding the marking on the flywheel.

Find the right tdc first on the first cilinder. Both valves should be closed. And the marking on the flywheel on the pointer
The first cilinder is the on closest to the water pump

Then look for the position of the rotor. It should point to the right inner wing somewhat to the front of the car.

When it comes to advance. I have my engine more advanced then 6 degrees. Modern fuel makes it necessary to advance further then 6 degrees. So when you have the engine running advance as much as possible without the engine pinking.

Good luck.

cheers ...ah it's all coming back to me now..I guess I haven't owned a proper oldie for about a decade now..my camper's got a newish Audi engine in it with electronic ignition...speaking of which the kits for electronic ignition are pretty cheap now..£30 or thereabouts..anyone switched to this? I had it on my old 2CV..worked well..altho I kinda like things in the original set up

Hello Melissa
Your flywheel on an 850cc turns clockwise, so the mark on the flywheel should be approximately 1cm before the arrow. Which is 1cm before TDC.
In this position, the points will just be opening.
IMGP1367.JPG

Use your Mojo Mellissa! Yup all good advice above and good pic by Mojo. The only thing I would add is that the valve springs and rockers are just visible from the oil filler hole on the top of the rocket box. A couple or three turns and you will be able to suss which is the exhaust stroke and which is the compression when your timing marks finally appear in the window on the bell housing

brilliant..thanks everyone..nothing like a crystal clear image to make sense of things Mojobaby..the new ignition parts are on their way from the Uk & I can't wait to get them in. One thing I have noticed when ordering parts..there are so many variations on engine numbers, different distributers & carbs etc..they did change things a lot!..I'm sure I will get used to it & I can't wait to get her running as she should be..thanks again all I know my post is somewhat simple but I'm a lot rustier than my Renault!

Another thing is if you have no other way of determining you are at correct TDC or 180 degrees out is unscrew the no 1 spark plug and put your finger over the hole while the engine (with ignition off) being turned over by hand. You'll feel the compression/air coming out as it comes up to TDC. Also if you have trouble seeing the timing mark (all covered in grime etc) put a timing strobe on it with the engine running and the strobe light is often enough to show it quite well. That way you at least see what you are meant to be looking for when the engine is stopped, and it is much easier to pick out.

good tip Piet..thanks..you were right..my engine bay & timing marks were thick with grime...I'm dreaming of an engine bay like Mojobaby's!

:laughing: Massive compliment, thank you:laughing:
I make good use of all my old toothbrushes

I've dabbed a spot of white paint on the flywheel mark, so its easy to see.

Back