Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

wrong spark plugs

Hi folks, I think I'm losing the plot. The spark plugs I bought from Mr Auto for my 1108cc GTL are Bosch WR8BC, but they are NOT long reach. These are the ones recommended for that engine. Just wanted to get that straight to save any confusion. Now, matron, where's my tea?:confused:

My local motor factor said these bosch plugs were a direct replacement for the ngk plugs but after reading all the threads I swapped them back to the ngk to ensure all was correct

• 20180510_211937.jpg
    20180510_211937.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 3
Let me ask you one thing about spark plugs.

I can see that some plugs are coming with recommended gap.

What you do if that recommended gap is different from gap recommended to engine.

Just for example. Not sure in real numbers.

Champion L92YC is coming with recommended gap 0,7mm (not quite sure about this number)
Engine (688D7/12) has stamp on rocker cover that says recommended gap for Champion sparkplug is 0,6mm.

Would you leave gap on spark plug 0,7 or would you change it to 0,6

Wider gap=larger spark=better combustion, but higher voltage needed to create spark, too. This may be an issue if you have a weak coil, or if the rest of your ignition system is not in very good condition. That said, I have always gapped plugs to 0,7mm and never encountered any problem.
You can set the gaps to 0,7mm and if you notice misfiring, go back to 0,6mm (or find what's wrong in the rest of your ignition system!)

Everything is working fine.......i do not need to change anything.....it just something that crosses my mind from time to time.....This time i remembered to ask on this forum!
Thank you

Back