Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Renault 4 accident on the road

AdamWilkes

Enthusiast
Well, I'm not saying it was a good driver who pulled out in front of me. It was a rude fat blond woman with a 2018 disability (automatic?) car who ignored the give way markings and resulted in this. Ouch. Red mist day. Hoping to keep the van for repairs as and when. The bonnet hinges were both sheared, as was the exhaust. A-panel is folded, door jammed shut, plus side scratches extending along to the back. The right wing is also bent from where the bonnet was thrust across into it. She reversed back into the junction immediately after the collision. Just for safety, I am sure. Just bought a new dizzy vacuum unit as well :(IMG-20190914-WA0006.jpg

Thanks Andy; possible neck issue (time will tell) but otherwise not a scratch :) The dashcam of my partner (who was following) reveals that I was slightly irate at the other driver, though I don't remember much of that :whistle:

Oh how awful. Most importantly, I hope you are OK. Make sure you get yourself checked out if necessary.

I'm glad its on dash cam and no one will mind you "giving driving advice".

Hope the van gets a speedy road to recovery.

Glad you're okay Adam, I really hate to see this, we treasure our cars so much and then this happens. Hope you and your van have a speedy recovery:)

Thanks to you all for your kind words.
It'll be an economical write-off, and I hope the insurers will let me keep it. I also hope that the chassis/suspension is reusable..

Anyone know where I can get a new left inner wing? I have found new (albeit probably rubbish copies) wings, bonnet, A-panel etc, but not inner wing. It looks quite squished. :scared:

I wonder if the new paint will be a brush and roller-job . . . :dontknow: Anything rather than the big car-crusher in the sky, really.

Sad to see this Adam,
Not new, but I did look over a 4l in a breakers local, had lots of panel dents but was straight, will be passing Thursday/Fri, willing to look over left inner wing to see if good if still needed

Got a rather rust eaten left inner wing in my garage in gosport, that I just held onto if worst comes to worst.

Hi Adam

I'm sorry to hear about this. I hope you are ok. I had a similar situation quite some time ago now with an R4. It was written off as beyond economical repair but I was allowed to keep it and carried out the repairs myself. If the chassis is ok, everything else is repairable. I hope you get the van back on the road.

Best Regards

Jurjenz, Eoynteenie and Iaxeian, you are fabulous human beings and your thoughtfulness bowls me over! I shall leave actually collecting spares until I know what the insurers want to do and I can start doing something with the van, but your kind offers are wonderful. :hug:

So sorry to see this Adam, it's almost a carbon copy of the accident I had in my previous 4 a few years ago, but it was the drivers side, that also took the bonnet off, but the damage looks similar. I managed to keep the car, passed it on to a friend, he fixed it and it lives on. I too have an A post panel, it has surface rust, but it's never been used. Yours if you need it. Regards Brian.

Adam, very sorry to see your F6 in this state. At least you are not injured and i am sure with the assistance of guys on here you will get it fixed.

Adam, I had looked at this F6 in Worthing, prior to you, with a view to purchasing. You beat me to it though, so sad for me to see it in this state.

It boggles me how someone missed a bright yellow van thou. Shows that people just do not look at whats going on.

Thanks Tomcat - I had been watching it for weeks before buying it; in the end my partner insisted I took a proper look as she was getting tired of me looking at it online! The garage didn't restore it to the level they suggested before they resprayed it - welding practice has been needed quite a few times since.

Eonteenie - it was a sunny day, with the 4pm low-ish sun shining away from the white driver, and highlighting the yellow on my van even more than usual. She was looking and not seeing, or not looking at all I think!

Back