Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

How old is my R4?

SuperLucy

Hiya! Does anyone know how to tell the year of this car? It’s in Spain, no papers unfortunately. There was an ITV (mot) sticker on it which said 1986 but this disintegrated in the sun!

• EE56BC6F-2F66-41A9-857C-A0F13E932C0B.jpeg
    EE56BC6F-2F66-41A9-857C-A0F13E932C0B.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 51F13309-320B-43B8-98A1-46E8D02A98AE.jpeg
    51F13309-320B-43B8-98A1-46E8D02A98AE.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 2D4C8F41-A710-4061-81CB-455CBF8491C4.png
    2D4C8F41-A710-4061-81CB-455CBF8491C4.png
    788.2 KB · Views: 0
  • A8D7DC90-BDAD-4D2D-A1D3-699676B089CB.jpeg
    A8D7DC90-BDAD-4D2D-A1D3-699676B089CB.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 0
  • CE93F703-BDE7-4FF5-AA7D-D73B66109480.png
    CE93F703-BDE7-4FF5-AA7D-D73B66109480.png
    745.1 KB · Views: 0
That's a lovely F4!
From the bonnet and the metal air vent cover I'd say mid-70s
Thank you! Is there no way to tell exact year from diamond and oval plate? Theres a number on the engine too but I cant quite get to it to wipe the oil off it and see :[]

According to the table in Parts Book PR 1104, vehicle R 2108 032263 would be from 1972 (the year R2108s were introduced). The black plastic radiator grille looks 80s, but judging by the hinged front air vent (as #Leonardo.IT says), round indicator lights on the bonnet, circular wing mirrors and the old-style front bumper this is obviously an early 70s model. If you have the original air filter, sometimes the date is painted inside this (under where the filter element sits).

According to the table in Parts Book PR 1104, vehicle R 2108 032263 would be from 1972 (the year R2108s were introduced). The black plastic radiator grille looks 80s, but judging by the hinged front air vent (as #Leonardo.IT says), round indicator lights on the bonnet, circular wing mirrors and the old-style front bumper this is obviously an early 70s model. If you have the original air filter, sometimes the date is painted inside this (under where the filter element sits).
wow! thank you :)

Hi sorry to jump in on your question but is your car in Spain and if it is how do you intend to get over the lack of papers ? I have been given an R4 in Spain with no papers and I am in contact with the elderly owner who doesn't want to get involved with any bureaucracy regarding the car because she is now living in the UK . Good luck with your quest

If you manage the paperwork without costing a fortune please let me know .
Regards .

Hi sorry to jump in on your question but is your car in Spain and if it is how do you intend to get over the lack of papers ? I have been given an R4 in Spain with no papers and I am in contact with the elderly owner who doesn't want to get involved with any bureaucracy regarding the car because she is now living in the UK . Good luck with your quest

not sure really. I want to sell it as Im not in a position to renovate it. Im sure theres someone who will want to buy it to use for parts, although itll be a shame to break it up. Otherwise, I could use it as a VERY good looking garden shed. What are you planning to do about the lack of papers?
If you manage the paperwork without costing a fortune please let me know .
Regards .

Im going to attempt to sell it without the paperwork. Theres no way I could get it sorted.

It looks like in my situation that without bill of sale and no papers it's imposible and even if I did get the lady to send me a bill of sale it would be expensive and complicated . I'm keeping my eyes open for a cheap rough car with papers so I can swop good parts over .
Good luck

There's no way in Spain to have a copy of the papers having the licence plate?

Ive been informed, not sure how reliable this info is though...all the missing years of road tax would have to be paid in full first which can come to quite an amount. I shall investigate this further. Its hard to find good info on anything here, especially if you dont speak the language very well.

Road tax thing is correct info, but road tax is a provincial thing here, paid at your council office, (one you sign up as ‘Padron’ at), registration etc is at your provinces main office ( usually nearest main town/city), but provinces can differ in their systems...its not at all easy to navigate on your own, you really will find you get bounced from one office to the next and back again, if you have a ‘Gestoria’ near you that deals with vehicle registration etc.and they don't want a fortune for dealing with it its sooo much easier. My road tax is 35€ per annum,( went ahead and taxed it expecting no insurance problems, ironic as historic theres no tax fee per annum) multiply that by years off of the road will give you approx figure you may get hit for plus all the other fees/taxes, not extortionate amounts but due to the bouncing and messing about it adds up...
Bit of a warning, if your intending to re-register it for the road and are not going to register it as an ‘Historico’ ( UK =Classic) find out beforehand if you can get a normal insurance policy first, I’m having problems finding a company here in Spain that will insure mine as normal, I would have no problems getting ‘Historico’ insurance on it, but having already had and registered a vehicle as historic here I would not do it again due to the milage limitations imposed by the insurance (3000km a year, which passes with the blink of an eye, or a bit of nice scenery). My current 4 a 1985 F6, I had no problems with insurance as normal approx 18 months ago, different scenario now......its my only vehicle so I am not in the position to be able to say what the scenario would be if it was added to an existing policy as an additional vehicle. Best of Luck

It almost looks as if trailering it to the UK, getting it MOT’d and re-registered with an age-related UK plate following official dating by the ROC, then re-importing to Spain, might be the answer. This is a totally off-the-cuff suggestion and I’d be interested to see what holes other Forum members can pick in it.

Contact Brian Whiteside of the renault Clasic Car Club, who seems to know all the wrinkles and how to smooth them out. Very helpful man.

Re Benchseat’s reply, this is possible but costly, actually did this with my mk1 Transit here, as a Spanish resident legally you are really only meant to drive your UK car to your place of residence from the UK, then as a Spanish resident you are theoretically no longer to drive a UK registered insured vehicle registered to your UK address, you take up your Spanish residency , the police take a pretty relaxed attitude towards this where I am, unsure of other provinces, as a Spanish resident you get a period of ‘upto’ 2 years to re-register said vehicle onto Spanish plates, during this time ( pre mot exemption for classics in my case) to use it it has to remain full road legal to use, expect to be stopped and checked if you are using it in same area over a period of time, after about 18 months I was advised to register it on Spanish plates, if seen on road after this friendly warning the vehicle is impounded and your are hit with a €3000fine. I initially bought van after being told by We Register Any Car ( Spain ) that there would be no problems before purchase, bought it then they said no, hence the UK reg. period. I then went the full historico spanish route, this took a year doing, with help from Spanish friends in the trade, exactly why I would not consider doing it again.

Again I say, speak to Brian Whiteside of the Renault Classic Car Club, who is very experienced in all of the processes and how to deal with them, having done it many times himself. Often what looks like the obvious straight line route is not the way to go and a more circuitous route avoids trip ups and simplifies the process to simple. A most helpful, experienced and knowledgable man.

Our car which is a 72 model 1126 782 cc has the small round indicators, has no secondaries on the wings, has the painted vent, and has the Mk2 chrome grille. So this is later than that, because the plastic grille came in September 1974. Black plastic vent flap came in july 77. So the window is Sept 74 - July 77. Then there is any modification for it being Spanish

Back