Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1972 4L basic Upholstery.

edwin

Enthusiast
Hi all. As you may know, we are refurbing a 72 basic 4L. The seats are the deckchair type with tubular frames. Under the fabric there is an arrangement of cardboard and rubber panels which are stitched together and gives the "give`' in the seat. This is then covered in a kind of velour or ribbed velvet covering all held in to the frame with wire clips. Coverings appear to be OK. Does anyone know where to get the cardboard and rubber under panels from. In ours, the rubber has perished, and pulls apart along the stiching when it is sat upon. Any help or suggestions or ideas for alternatives are gratefully received. I would need a complete set, 4. Thanks Edwin

I had a quick lok some time ago and didn't find anything. I resolved to contact a seat trimmer. And didn't. I would be interested to know if you find a supplier.

Have a look here: https://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/old-sling-style-seat-issues.5742/#post-34072

The canvas (not cardboard) can be found easily. I found it at a home furniture upholsterer, but later I realized it was too coarse braided and would rip at where it was stitched with the rubber. It has not to be exactly the same, though, any strong and thick fabric will do.
I searched around and found a kind of rubber sheet that was way more resilient than the ordinary black stuff and it worked very well. The main problem was that it was a bit hard to stitch, but in the end a car upholsterer did it for me. I will check if I have some of this stuff left, so I can send you a strip or two to check if it's OK, and ask at the place I bought it if it's still available.

Thanks Malcolm, I will put it out there.
Have a look here: https://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/old-sling-style-seat-issues.5742/#post-34072

The canvas (not cardboard) can be found easily. I found it at a home furniture upholsterer, but later I realized it was too coarse braided and would rip at where it was stitched with the rubber. It has not to be exactly the same, though, any strong and thick fabric will do.
I searched around and found a kind of rubber sheet that was way more resilient than the ordinary black stuff and it worked very well. The main problem was that it was a bit hard to stitch, but in the end a car upholsterer did it for me. I will check if I have some of this stuff left, so I can send you a strip or two to check if it's OK, and ask at the place I bought it if it's still available.

Angel, that would be great. I am trying to get the car back to its original state. I can find alternatives, but it would be good, given the exceptional low mileage, to try and get as near as I can too original. Thanks for your help.

Back