Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1977 R4 safari project

harbourseal

Renault R4 Lunatic
I started with the stripping of the safari.
Nice job to work on a rusty car again:D
All went well today, no sheared of bolts or rounded nuts. No need for the angle grinder yet.
After soaking all the bolts I wanted to undo in WD40 for an hour or so they came of nicely.

First thing to do was taking of the bonnet to gain acces to the engine and gearbox.
IMG_4971.JPG
With the bonnet of we could finally have a good look at the damage that 25 years of standing in a damp greenhouse had done.

132a1b0e-fa6a-4b8d-973b-b82da226df1c.jpg
some of the coolant seeped out of the top cooling hose to the radiator and crystalized on top of the cilinder head.
d3d1c4a8-49ef-4e05-95e9-e23069366d4e.jpg
it looks dry but not sludgy
34940a58-dc2c-4cdc-8a1b-c519a9fd6f7e.jpg
not to much charcoal forming inside the valve cover so the piston rings should not be to bad.
IMG_4962.JPG
It looks a bit rusty
IMG_4967.JPG
Nice small SEV Marchal distributer
IMG_4968.JPG
It has been running a bit rich.
IMG_4970.JPG
And definitely a 845 billancourt

If it keeps on going like this with dismantling the safari we'll be finished in no time.
I have good hopes for the seized engine. It looks the the long stand still caused the seizing up.
Pouring some WD 40 into the cilinders might do the trick in loosening it.
more to come soon

Brings back a few memories:)

I was advised to fill up the cylinders with Diesel to loosen up the pistons. I left it in there for 3 weeks and it did nothing.

Hope your WD 40 works

Wow, would love to come over one day to help. Brings back memories haha. Is this going to be a full restoration? Are you going to start the engine when the pistons loosend up?

Yes it’ll be a full restoration.
First thing to do is getting the engine and gearbox out. Separating them and un seize the engine.
The body and chassis will go to Slovenia for restoration.
We want this one in showroom condition.

The workshop we have is not big enough for such a project.

After return from Slovenia we will build her up technically. And do the finishing touches.

Body is going to Ziri in Slovenia to Mlinar brothers?

Exactly. Do you know Jan?
He is a wizard with anything that involves metal.

Not personally but we talked few times over phone about R4 and parts for it.

His brother came to my place this summer. Orange R4 with small pedal R4 on the roof that you could saw in my topic.

Very sad that i did not manged to get to gathering this autumn Slovenian R4 club organised in his town, and his garage.

He is very passionate about R4.

He was interested in chassis parts that i have done for my and few other R4's (rear and side crossmembers)

This is small part of the Europe and I probably know 70% R4 enthusiasts.

When do you plan to go to Slovenia?

My friend Andrej (the guy I bought this Safari with) is bringing it to Slovenia early next year. Ill probably come with him to pick it up when its finished.

What time frame you have agree for body and chassis to be finished and delivered?
I might find time to pay a visit when is finished.

We have come a little further with dismantling the Safari.
All the windows ar out and the dash came out without going to pieces. Thanks to @malcolm and @jonigel for that.
Now an other day of tinkering to get the cable loom out and have a go at the break drums.
Then she's of to Slovenia.

Apart from some surface rust the front window frame is intact. Unfortunatly that can't be said for the right side doors. The are completely destroyed by metal worm.IMG_5127.JPGIMG_5128.JPG64EE4EF9-CBE2-44D0-94FB-B82F485332D5.jpgB8471502-6FCE-42EC-B0DD-BCFE8EC4D4F6.jpg31282BBA-87EF-4F23-B4AD-B6C8E2779D43.jpg516861EF-3842-4A80-8F6B-B13D3CF105DE.jpg

Judging by the pictures, the Safari needs some serious body and chassis metal work.
Looking forward to see the metal restore progress pictures.

Judging by the pictures, the Safari needs some serious body and chassis metal work.
Looking forward to see the metal restore progress pictures.

I'm completely dependent on what is being send to me by E-mail, Joop.
So I don't know if I can provide detailed pictures for this forum.

Back