Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

1984 R4 F4 Van

It is definitely a day to put in the diary.
My wife came out in the van for the first time and said she thought it was jolly nice!!:laughing::laughing::clapping::clapping::doh:

After some damage to the right hand side front wing I( decided to replace both sides.
Sadly took originals down the tip before really trying the aftermarket ones. They did not fit well at all.
Then decided secondhand original Renault ones would be better.
Did a 5.5 hour return drive to Wimborne to Brian Whiteside's establishment. Got 2 wings from him. Both needed some attention but almost astraight bolt-on fit. Very minor fettleing.
Decided to clean up the RH side wing. First pass in attached picture.
Progress at last.

• DSC00225.JPG
    DSC00225.JPG
    378 KB · Views: 2
My good lady wife has decided that the van should have a name.:clapping:

In future the van will be known as 'Vanessa' :). She who must be obeyed has spoken.:cool::cool::whistle:

Have cleaned up the other side wing and will take them to a local bodyshop for some straightening and welding.
Will probabaly get them to give the wings an epoxy primer and undercoat.
Once all sorted a full respray may be on the cards. I will see what the quote is.:whistle:

Progress has been made. Package arrived from Der Franoze with some goodies.
Also a local bodyshop is sorting out the wings and then primer.
I swopped the Alpine wheels I had on the car for the earlier type and experimented with a wheel colour change too.
I am planning to get the Alpine wheels refurbished but undecided about the colour to do it in. My Hyundai coupe has rose red wheels and this looks good with silver.
Planning to keep the van white. Had thought about Porsche Viper Green [similsr to harbourseal's van] with white wheels.

• DSC00233.JPG
    DSC00233.JPG
    278.2 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC09507.JPG
    DSC09507.JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
More update. Have purchased new 'Alpine' centre discs and a set of new correct wheel nuts. Decided to splash out.

Maybe my plan to add new rear side windows will get shelved as I see a major difficultly in having to strip out the carpeted interior walls and then reinstate. More to be thought about.

Beautifull bright orange Tom, and very nice color scheme with the white:clapping:

Scheme was based on 2 factors.
1. My wife likes an orange car.
2. Renault service vans were as picture attached.

• R4servicevan.jpg
    R4servicevan.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 6
Orange is so nice color for R4.

Color on R4 must be bright and happy.
Must be catchy for eye between all those new car dark and sad colors.

I really like your choice.

Vanessa is now back home for fitting out works.
New door seals front and back. On order from R Quatre.nl.
Front grille upgraded with LED daytime lights and spotlights.
I have new black bumper and over-riders. "Love handles" need painting in black & fitting.
There is a blue sky out there so works will commence.
More later.

• DSC00362 (2).jpg
    DSC00362 (2).jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Due to pressing family matters very little has got done on Vanessa. I ordered a set of new weatherseals for front and rear doors which got lost in the post and another set had to be sent.
However I have now fitted the modified front grill. This has LED driving lights and 2 spot lamps. New front bumper has yet to be attached plus overriders.
I am off for the 24 hours at Le Mans on Tuesday so do not see anymore getting done till my return.
Watch this space:clapping::doh:

• DSC00499.JPG
    DSC00499.JPG
    250.2 KB · Views: 10
Bit more time spent on Vanessa. Starting had been a problem and I checked the earth lead from battery to gearbox and found it very loose at the battery end.
Removed the wire completely to fix it, or get replacement. Found a second smaller wire with some sort of connector at gearbox end.
Anyone any idea what this should be connected to pllease??
Picture attached.DSC00538.JPG

Question resolved I believe? Smaller wire is for earth from cooling fan on 1108 models. Mine is an 845.:whistle::whistle:;)

Back