Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

32 dis ren 806

Curtis

Enthusiast
Hello,

My R4 1108 engine, seems to have a solex 32 dis ren 806, I don't believe this is the same as the usual 32 dis

Does anyone know the difference between the two?

There is no "usual" 32DIS, they were fitted to a variety of engines and three digit code refers to jetting and other settings according to engine it was built for. Your 806 was an original fitment to 1108 R5, so should be spot on for your engine. In fact, if it's coupled to the correct R5 distributor, it boosts maximum power by 10HP.

There is no "usual" 32DIS, they were fitted to a variety of engines and three digit code refers to jetting and other settings according to engine it was built for. Your 806 was an original fitment to 1108 R5, so should be spot on for your engine. In fact, if it's coupled to the correct R5 distributor, it boosts maximum power by 10HP.
Thank you,

I'm really struggling to find the correct information on the engine so I assumed it wouldn't be correct, trying to figure out why I'm only getting 20mpg

It has a ducellier 525546a distributor, again I'm not sure this is correct

There's a ballast on the ignition coil, but the coil was a 12v Bosch blue so I've fitted a 1.5ohm coil which has improved fuel milage, to 28mpg

I've attached a pdf about solex carbs used on Renault cars and a pdf about R5 engines, carbs and distributors.

The distributor might be right for the R5 setup. You've got a Ducellier 525546a but the value that counts is what's stamped underneath, I think it is R335D83.
Those numbers correspondent with the centrifugal advance and vacuum advance curves and are way of the Renault R4 1108cc engine which is R244D61

The engine type should give more information The R5 1108cc engine can be a C1E type, so which is yours?

Engines can oly be alterred to a certain amount if change in ignition timing in combination with centrifugal advance and vacuum advance for that specific type of (Renault) engine.
This site tells a thing or two about engines, distributors and timing https://www.la4ldesylvie.fr/calage-de-l-avance-a-l-allumage-dynamique-et-statique

Normally the manifold should also have a 32mm intake as the original R4 1108cc manifold is a 28mm intake.

And about fuel consumption, In my many years of driving the R4 GTL 1108cc (688-D7/12 engine with Zenith 28mm carb and Ducellier 525187A R244D61) my average was easily 20km per liter of course using the right fuel type (not that worthless E10 rubish).
So converting the logical true metric system values to an outdated imperial system it would be 56,826125 english land miles per standard imperial gallon

• solex-carburettors.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • MR-257-SUPER5-1.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I've attached a pdf about solex carbs used on Renault cars and a pdf about R5 engines, carbs and distributors.

The distributor might be right for the R5 setup. You've got a Ducellier 525546a but the value that counts is what's stamped underneath, I think it is R335D83.
Those numbers correspondent with the centrifugal advance and vacuum advance curves and are way of the Renault R4 1108cc engine which is R244D61

The engine type should give more information The R5 1108cc engine can be a C1E type, so which is yours?

Engines can oly be alterred to a certain amount if change in ignition timing in combination with centrifugal advance and vacuum advance for that specific type of (Renault) engine.
This site tells a thing or two about engines, distributors and timing https://www.la4ldesylvie.fr/calage-de-l-avance-a-l-allumage-dynamique-et-statique

Normally the manifold should also have a 32mm intake as the original R4 1108cc manifold is a 28mm intake.

And about fuel consumption, In my many years of driving the R4 GTL 1108cc (688-D7/12 engine with Zenith 28mm carb and Ducellier 525187A R244D61) my average was easily 20km per liter of course using the right fuel type (not that worthless E10 rubish).
So converting the logical true metric system values to an outdated imperial system it would be 56,826125 english land miles per standard imperial gallon
Thank you, that is a lot to read but I am sure it will be extremely useful

Engine stamped 688d7/12

Spoke with a distributor company yesterday that says the current distributor is on 1degree different to the correct one, I've had the engine flashed and timed so it shouldn't be a timing issue.

I really can't understand why mine can be so different on mpg to your experience, I'm going to remove the ballast and go back to the Bosch blue 12v coil, run that for a few weeks and if it doesn't improve I guess my best bet will be a rolling road and the carb tuned

Sorry re read what you had written regarding the distributor, with mine being the same engine as your I think I will purchase a new distributor just to put my mind to rest

Sorry re read what you had written regarding the distributor, with mine being the same engine as your I think I will purchase a new distributor just to put my mind to r

You are right it does have r335 stamped underneath

Has anyone converted to an electric ignition kit? wouldn't this remove the need for the correct ignition curve set by the correct code distributor?
1000009500.jpg

Ok promise I won't post anymore,
Realised I'm wrong, regards electric ignition.

How does this look to you?

Should I go for the R4 or R5? Since I have an R5 carb1000009503.jpg

1000009501.jpg1000009502.jpg

Bad fuel economy could be a few things. The exact distributor shouldn't be so important and it's possible to run a 32DIS on a R4 distributor and get 40mpg. Assuming the static timing is set correctly have you checked vacuum advance? If you take the distributor cap off, remove the vacuum connection from the carb, then suck through it you should see movement in the plate the vacuum unit is connected to. Though that's not going to halve the mpg if it's not working, only a few mpg.

Have you taken the air filter off and checked to see the choke is fully open? If the choke doesn't open fully then that would do it. That's my bet.

Not a good plan just to change parts. Though if you do change the carb don't throw away the old one. I'm after one of them.

Ok promise I won't post anymore,
Realised I'm wrong, regards electric ignition.

How does this look to you?

Should I go for the R4 or R5? Since I have an R5 carb

For a true electronic ignition the 123 ignition is the one to be https://123ignition.com/product/renault-4-r-v/
But you don't need electronic ignition to make a car run good, better or best.

Do as @malcolm wrote and I would also suggest to check every component with ease, knowledge and care.

A simple car engine isn't rocket science, but the engine need a full checkup, the right setup and is easily done by yourself.
You've got a 688-D7/12 and it needs the right distributor for the right centrifuginal and vacuum advances.
Normally the engine is set to a static (pre ignition) timing and the function of the distributer is to advance the ignition timing at higher refs.
A dwell meter is the tool to use for those higher refs.
Furthermore check the point gap, ignition coil, condenser, ignition leads and spark plugs.

The carb isn't that big of an isue and can contribute with a marginal bit more hp, but it needs the correct setup as positive throttle opening, correct jets, mixture and idle setting.
Changing gaskets and cleaning the complete carb might be useful. https://www.diegoyourself.com/index.php?article=mecanique_carbu_solex32dis

You've got a 32mm carb so you also need a 32mm intake manifold and they are becoming very rare.

This forum and it's members have many tons of knowledge and many articles so use it but don't jump all over the place. Read articles, learn about the technology and then start tinkering.

Good luck and best regards.

Last edited:
Back