Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

4GTL carb

ggcton

Enthusiast
Hi you will have seen on this forum that I have had a lot of problems with power loss on my 1984 GTL.
I had fitted a R5 manifold and a Zenith 32IF carb and although a little better I still had serious power loss.
This morning I remembered I had a brand new 32 SEIA carb I bought from an ex renault agent.I fitted the carb and for the first time my car went really well smooth and poweful.After about 5 miles I started to loose power again although not so bad.
Has anyone else used this carb on the 1108 GTL and if so do you know how to adjust it and what Jet sizes to use.
Thanks Gary

Hi gccton,
my '78 GTL uses this carb, and I'm not too pleased with it - the car seems very sluggish. I'm thinking of converting to the 28IF setup from later GTLs or hotting up á la Hennessey.
The carb is a bit of an oddball as (I'm not that technically minded, so YMMV) idle revs can't be affected directly but only through a combination of adjusting air and fuel mixture. Don't mess with the throttle either, because that's factory set and the gauge is hard to come by.
You can get a repair set (although mine had the wrong size jets) from www.reno4er.de
I've retyped the jet sizes from a French leaflet, so I don't know the correct names for the jets and measurements concerning this carb, but here goes, and you can compare with the drawing:

Buse (K): 22
Automaticité (a): 115
Gicleur de ralenti (g): 145
Pointeau: 1,5
Ouverture positive du papillon des gaz (mm): 0,90
Niveau d'essence (mm) 11,7
No. de calibre: 71644024
Emulseur: X6
Injecteur de pompe de reprise (i): 35
Angle de papillion (en mm) 3,48
Course clapet de degazage (mm): 3 à 4
Regime de ralenti en
tr/min. 700+-25
% CO 2,5 +- 0,5

All the best
Robert

• Solex 32 SEIA.jpg
    Solex 32 SEIA.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 340
Many thanks I will try to get a friend to translate from the french.Gary

Gary, did you overhaul the 32IF and check that the accelerator pump is working? It appears to me that you have a weak mixture / not enough petrol is getting through. Have you got an air leak?? At the base of the 32IF is the heated manifold and it's not uncommon for one of the two gaskets to split. I assume that you've fitted the R5 waterpump and hoses to heat the manifold. On my car I fitted a main jet 2 sizes bigger than standard and that gave me very acceptable acceleration. Have you got an air filter fitted that can draw hot air from the exhaust manifold? If not, the carb could ice up and give the symptoms you describe.

Steve I cleaned the carb and I checked yesterday that the pump is working.
I am not familiar with this carb there is what looks like a small plate missing behind the accelorater choke mechanisim is this normal.
I too suspect an air leak but cannot find it.I have not fitted the R5 pump and hoses yet. There are at least two pumps for the R5 which one is it ?
I have this one in stock.

BfWp5wB2kKGrHqYH-DwErfg49RpeBLBJMtz.jpg

I am using the R5 air filter with the trunk directed down towards the exhaust.
Yesterday with the 32 SEIA fitted was the first time that I could see what a joy the car could be if I can get it running properly.

Gary

Gary, when you say you cleaned the carb was this a complete strip down and all drillings / airways blown through with compressed air? When you checked to see if the pump is working did it shoot a jet of petrol into the venturi without hesitation? I overhauled my 32IF with a kit from the Carburettor Exchange (Leighton Buzzard) so I never experienced the problems you are having. The 32IF is a simple carb and it should work as well as the 32SE1A.
I'm not sure what you mean by the small plate.
The correct water pump should have two outlets for the hoses to the heated manifold at the base of the carb. I cannot see these in your photo.
If you know somebody with a 5TL using the 32IF then it would be useful for you to look at the pump and the layout of the hoses etc.

Steve this one is on e bay at present is this the one the one.

r5pump2.jpg

Can anyone post me a picture of the r5 pump installed in a 4 with the pipes to the carb
Thanks Gary

Gary, the ebay one is not correct. I have just been down the shed and looked at my spare water pump. Was going to take some photos but the camera battery needs charging. However, the body looks the same as your first photo except that the pulley flange appears to be wrong. The correct pump you need is

http://www.firstline.co.uk/op3/f_gr...+1282.jpg&product=Water+Pumps&action=graphics

and it comes with the small metal pipes that screw in the pump body where you attach the hoses. The hoses are a Renault part and are moulded. There are three hoses - one long one and two short ones. In between the short ones is a bleed screw so you would need to obtain this as well.

A photo of a R5 would also help you. I will try and post some photos of the pump if you wish.

Thanks Steve,
I have ordered this pump,are the hoses still available from Renault?
Nothing seems to go easy on this job.I have just stripped the 32IF carb and I must say it looks clean.
I went to blow through the carb with my air line only to find the tyre pressure gauge is fitted and my tool for cleaning is not in its usual place.
My R16 is in the Garage so I need to move all the cars in the drive to get the 16 out to find it.
I think I would much rather be coping with Mr G at least he is predictable.
Gary

Gary, you will have to ask Renault if the hoses are still available - I hope they are. As to Mr G *&^% .....

Here are photos of the pump and the fitting kit - where have you ordered yours from??

• DSCF0011.jpg
    DSCF0011.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCF0012.jpg
    DSCF0012.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCF0013.jpg
    DSCF0013.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 317
  • DSCF0014.jpg
    DSCF0014.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 318
I have ordered from the firm you sent the picture from.
On a previous posting you mentioned o rings in the 32IF.
I have not seen any when I dismantled my carb only the gasket on the pump jet.Gary

Please send me a link to that posting to remind me. I do know there is one used to secure the mixture screw and I thought there was one at the base of the pump jet as well as the gasket.
If the other carb works ok why don't you use that one? I guess the loss of power you experienced was caused by icing up. Might be worth considering if that carb uses a heated manifold.

I'd be likely to agree with Steve, if the cars goes well when cold, then gets progressively slower then it could be down to carb icing!

Thanks Pepper I have ordered the r5 pump to heat the base of the carb.
You will have seen the picture of the progress on my 4. These are the four doors that came from your good self and they look well. They have been painted inside and out and I have treted them to Dynamat and lots of Dynax S50 poured into all seams so I hope they last.
Was there a good front seat left over from the breaker or have they already gone.
Gary

Erm depends what colour you want? I took the interior out for my car, but I had bought another complete set before I got the other car,

they are the brown tartan flavour.

That car sure does look good!

Yes it was brown flavour. I bought a spares car with a vey good set apart from the drivers seat. I kept back the best of my original seats but it had faded badly and is not a good colour match to the other three.
Gary

Well you're in luck then. I shall have a hunt round when I get a chance and see if I can find the front seats.

Thanks Steve I will see how I get on with the solex 32 SEIS carb but I have ordered an overhaul kit for the 32IF7.
Now looking for the water hoses hope to visit a friend with a 5 to see what is what.
Thanks for all your help.
Gary

Back