Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Air cleaner pre-heating hose?

Sepharad

Enthusiast
I have a photo of a quatrelle engine, and there is a silver, corrugated hose, running from the air filter housing outlet, downward to I don't know where.

In the Franzose catalogue, they list: "Preheating hose for the air filter. Suitable for Renault R4, R5, R6, R16."

Is this a typical add-on, or standard equipment?
Obviously it attaches to the filter housing and then goes....where? Just hangs loose in the compartment?
Does it actually DO anything?

The corrugated hose delivers pre-warmed air from the top of the exhaust manifold to the air intake, thus allowing better vaporisation of the petrol during cold weather. There's a switch on the air filter housing which alters the intake, depending on the temperature of the ambient air.

Andrew, So do I just lay the open end of the hose against the manifold, or does it attach somewhere? Should I do this in Portugal or does ambient air temperature make no difference?

It attaches to a tube that is sort of wrapped around the exhaust pipe in order to draw warmer air into the engine. Another type of air filter box has a fixed pipe and it looks like you rotate the whole air filter box lid from above the exhaust pipe to further back, while another type has two flexible pipes and a switch. One of my handbooks recommends switching settings when the ambient temperature is 5 degrees Celsius.15499825944033460478583330046021.jpg

On our Slovenian-built GTL, there is a hose clip on the inner wing. This is for clipping the flexible pipe up and away from the exhaust pipe in warmer weather.

So my Filter box looks like #1. One outlet, no hose. It never goes (once in recorded history) below 5, here so it should be turned to position #2, back toward the firewall. With NO hose?

That is correct. I have a Portuguese R4 GTL with no flexible hose. It is possible to slacken off the wing nut and move the fixed pipe nearer or away from the exhaust. Given the temperatures in the Algarve I don't envisage using the "winter" setting!

Thank you all. What great information. My friends would say this is archaic, I believe it is an example of a rich technological history, displayed in a customizable feature.

Back