Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Air filter box closed with a wingnut?

Sepharad

Enthusiast
Was the original air box lid held down with a wing nut? I find it hard to believe that my locking nut is original equipment. Was this nut painted chromed, zinced? Any wizard know the thread pitch and thread count?

Heres a photo of my airbox, yes its held down by wing-not, but the wing- nut thread has not got enough grip after years of on-off to hold airbox firmly, hence nut on top of it to ‘lock’ it., standard metric 10mm bolt thread so if you’ve got a handy hardware store local you may find a replacement, if your air box is the same as pictured they do not have the hose fitted to the intake.

• 7D14FA08-E2ED-498B-86D2-0F094EAC1E29.jpeg
    7D14FA08-E2ED-498B-86D2-0F094EAC1E29.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 3
My airbox looks exactly the same. I saw this photo and wondered what I was missing.D020F06D-EFC0-4B9C-AED2-A65A938BB94A.jpeg

The hose seems to be going somewhere, with determination. Where it is going and why, I have no idea.

There to direct warm air off of the exhaust manifold into the airbox for cars marketed for sale in colder climates to aid cold start ups.

Your post is a great coincidence as the R4 GTL I recently purchased had a nice shiny nut holding the air cleaner in place. Today when rumaging around I found the original wing nut which I guess had fallen down between the engine and bulkhead and never been retrieved. So today it is back to original with said wing nut in place!

Your telepathy knows no bounds!! Even crosses oceans as the car (and me) are in Portugal!

Re the air intake for the filter box. Mine is the same. What happens in our area in France, very hot summers up to 40 deg and cold winters down to -15, is that in winter the tube is directed to the exhaust pipe, so warmed air is directed to the engine, and in summer you bend it away from the exhaust to point forward so cooler air enters the engine. There was a fitting available, which was mounted on the exhaust, which presented a tube connector, set off the exhaust to allow air to pass the 'hot' exhaust before entering the tube, to organise things. I have not got one yet, but I am looking. I also have wing nuts on the air filter box, and i like it.

For hot or cold air intake, the original (older) GTL filterbox has a selector.
Season dependingly manualy operated and again there's that famous invention e.g. the wingnut to lock the selector.
20160924_165734.jpg

I am now the proud owner of a bag of Portuguese Wingnuts. Very exotic.
Kermit because you are green? Meet Clockwork Orange. God knows whats wrong with it today.
But hey! It has a wingnut.

401CB443-D753-40A4-84F2-5E7B2CCA6B8A.jpeg

Back