Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

air filter problem

billythefish

Enthusiast
The other day after having the R4 tuned, apparently the emissions should be around 4.5% at idle but mine are 6% the mechanic stated that turning the mixture screw either way made no Difference, so he suggested I should buy a new air filter as mine was pretty grubby.
Now that's when the problem came to light because when I removed and measured it, the measurements were height 55mm x diameter 180mm.
I have been to most of the older shops that I know and on the internet but cannot find any filter for a 1971 R4 of that size, both the ones that I have found are over 200mm in diameter.
Could it be that a previous owner in the past switched the air filter and unit from another earlier or later R4 onto mine?
:eek:

Is your filter a tight fit in the housing? I can't find that size either. It may be useful to post a photo on here so others who own earlier models may be able to help.

air filter

It's a little bit on the dark side now to take a photo but the air filter fits quite snug, with around a 1mm of room all round so it looks the correct one.
It's exactly the same shape as all the other R4 air filters, just the size that is different ,I thought perhaps it might have come from an old mini or as such like.
The trouble being there is no manufacturer or number on the filter to identify it.
:shock:

If they have parts which interest you, I will be happy to order them and then send them to you for only the cost of postage :wink:

The air filter box is a Tecalemit 8E 658 and the filter measurements are height=55mm outer diameter=175mm inner diameter= 115mm.
Would it not be a simpler solution to just to fit a KN filter, after all there shouldn't be any difference in the performance or MPG.

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 111
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 112
Must admit that it looks like the original filter. On the old element is there a part number and make that could cross reference? If you can get a K&N that does the job then go for it - you then have a filter for 'life'!!

old filter

Hi Steve,
there is no identifying marks on the old filter which makes it pretty hard to get another one, I've even tried the French and German Ebay motor spare pages but no luck.
Do you like the new colour of the car now it is finished?

Ok - let me tell you what I would do. If you can't find the correct filter then obtain a larger one - as long as it's 55mm high and has a thickness of 60mm. Carefully cut a lump out of it and superglue the rubber ends together and sew or glue the paper element. If it works then buy a few filters and you have a supply for 'life'.

Yes, nice colour red - should attract the bulls!!!!

This is the air filter both of my 845s use. I spotted two elements on ebay recently and bought them. I will check tomorrow the original part number, if it does help.
This filter element was fairly common over here, but for the last years incrasingly difficult but not impossible to find. I can check around if there is something left over, if you don't find it anywhere else.

please do

Thanks angel,
that would be fantastic ,I would rather have the original than a similar one that might not do the job properly.
:hug:

think i have got some of those lying around that nobody wanted at the last r4 run autojumble will take a tape measure to them i know they are too small for 1986 gtl i needed last week

Back