Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Backdating visually a later car.

Fun at 50 (mph)

Enthusiast
Has anyone removed the plastic side trim and grill,door handles from a later car and fitted the slightly earlier alloy grill, side trim, handles etc?

I would imagine there will be holes to fill in the doors and holes to drill for the trim clips. Similarly I expect under the later plastic dash the pressings are the same as the earlier cars that should make fitting an earlier dashpad/binacle not too hard.

Side trim and door handle replacement is straightforward.
Latest style bonnets (GTL wihout reinforcing struts) can accept 68 onwards aluminum grille without modifications.
Fitting an early dashboard / instrument cluster on a post '82 body is possible but more involved: you have to fit the early style fresh air vent pressings, drill five holes on the lower windscreen rail (windscreen removal necessary) and fabricate and weld some tabs to locate the lower side of the dashboard.

I have a RHD black Mk2 (78) dashboard for sale if you want it. PM me if you are interested. Edwin

The plastic side trim is held on by rivets that stand proud of the body, and plastic inserts into holes.

Wouldn't fancy changing the dash. A lot of wiring loom changes in addition to what Angel mentioned. Time consuming. My F4 didn't have the plastic side trims and runs a chrome bumper at the front and stainless grille.

My 85 car has had the retro treatment, started by the previous owner, and continued by me with the OLD roof-rack, 60s I reckon, and the rear number plate surround. As the paintwork has faded over the years, and the plastic side panels too, I'm quite happy as they are. I've also painted the air-vent met grey.
As for changing the dash-board, hmm not sure about that. Bit of a faff for nothing I reckon.FB_IMG_1619600643587.jpgFB_IMG_1619600571826.jpg

If you don't want/like the plastic side trim you could simply find a 850 or 950cc model that didn't feature it.
For the other bits like external door hinges, dashboard and air vent the job is going to be quite harder than swapping the grille or the bumpers with chromed ones.
I did a little backdating on my car, taking away some bits of the Savane (like the reverse lights on the boot) and putting some chrome bits on it.

Has anyone removed the plastic side trim and grill,door handles from a later car and fitted the slightly earlier alloy grill, side trim, handles etc?

I would imagine there will be holes to fill in the doors and holes to drill for the trim clips. Similarly I expect under the later plastic dash the pressings are the same as the earlier cars that should make fitting an earlier dashpad/binacle not too hard.
hello! can I deduce from this question that you may have some plastic side trim that needs a good home?

Hello
the wide plastic pieces that go along the doors, I have not seen any for sale anywhere. ‘Titch’ does have hers but some are a bit scratched and chipped so keeping an eye out for new ones. Also on the look out for a parcel shelf.

Hello
the wide plastic pieces that go along the doors, I have not seen any for sale anywhere. ‘Titch’ does have hers but some are a bit scratched and chipped so keeping an eye out for new ones. Also on the look out for a parcel shelf.
Hi. i have a parcel shelf. It has two holes cut in ready for speakers. I also have the Black back seat. Can be sold seperatly. Have a black folding front seat. Have an early "leather"back seat and a "leather" front seat both in dk brown All up for offers.

Hi. i have a parcel shelf. It has two holes cut in ready for speakers. I also have the Black back seat. Can be sold seperatly. Have a black folding front seat. Have an early "leather"back seat and a "leather" front seat both in dk brown All up for offers.
Hello Edwin, Thanks for the offer! Titch has all that beige tartan ( what a combination!!)
interior so not really looking for a black shelf.

Back