Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Bulkhead brake pipe routing problem

Cyprusnoddycar

Enthusiast
I am in the middle of fully reconditioning my R4 braking system, and I have just fitted a new master cylinder. Although I still can't workout how the bulkhead brake pipes are routed/secured ? I have looked at other R4 bulkhead photos online but still can't see how they are routed/secured ? Thanks20231210_074021.jpg20231210_074101.jpg

I am in the middle of fully reconditioning my R4 braking system, and I have just fitted a new master cylinder. Although I still can't workout how the bulkhead brake pipes are routed/secured ? I have looked at other R4 bulkhead photos online but still can't see how they are routed/secured ? ThanksView attachment 32495View attachment 32496
Good morning the pipes on my 86 GTL RHD drop straight down from the m/cyl one goes round the back of the engine on top of the chassis lip another goes down the side of the chassis under the right sill not easy to explain but had to do them when the engine was out all held in place with strange plastic clips your picture looks nothing like the original you would need the original pipes to be able to replicate the system as Renault did it hope this helps a bit. Gerald

Indeed from the main brake cylinder straight down just as MR175 shows (attached picture brake circuit with hand brake on front drum brakes. On GTL's (and later TL's) with front disc brakes the hand brake is on the rear drum brakes.
1702216858220.png schema remleidingen met handrem op voorremmen.jpg

Good morning the pipes on my 86 GTL RHD drop straight down from the m/cyl one goes round the back of the engine on top of the chassis lip another goes down the side of the chassis under the right sill not easy to explain but had to do them when the engine was out all held in place with strange plastic clips your picture looks nothing like the original you would need the original pipes to be able to replicate the system as Renault did it hope this helps a bit. Gerald
Hello Gerald, Many thanks for this useful info, so it looks like the previous owner routed the pipes in the wrong place completely after restoring the car. So I will remove them and look for the original route over the chassis. Cheers.

Indeed from the main brake cylinder straight down just as MR175 shows (attached picture brake circuit with hand brake on front drum brakes. On GTL's (and later TL's) with front disc brakes the hand brake is on the rear drum brakes.
View attachment 32500 View attachment 32501
Hello, Many thanks for this useful info, I will remove the pipes that the previous owner installed, and look for the original route over the chassis. All the Best. Kevin

As the picture shows it is around the lip at the bottom of the engine sump then across the lip underneath the wing and down the side of the car underneath the sill (left or right side depending on car)

As the picture shows it is around the lip at the bottom of the engine sump then across the lip underneath the wing and down the side of the car underneath the sill (left or right side depending on car)
OMG ! It looks virtually impossible to fix the brake pipe on top of the chassis with the engine in ! So I can see why the previous owner routed the pipes like he did. I have some nice metal double brake pipe clips, so I will do a neat modification and fit them on the bulkhead. Not original but it will be a good mod.

Just out of interest - is there a chance that your car was originally LHD?
I am not sure Andy ? although the car is a real 'Bitsa' made from NOS parts ! It's a post 1983 car with the rear handbrake cables, Front discs, and the 688/D7 1108cc engine. Seats with head rests the later dashboard, and a full Sun roof, Amil alloy wheels. The numbers are all matching in the logbook, yet it says it's a 1978 847cc 4L (but then this is Cyprus !). I am converting the car to the early dashboard with parts from Edwin, although I am still interested in buying your nice early dashboard in the New year as well. If you don't mind packing it well in a thick cardboard box with bubble wrap and posting to Cyprus ? Regards Kevin

Well I fixed the brake pipe routing problem today, okay it's not original but it looks neat and is easy to access. Does anyone know what that small bracket in the photo with the hole in is for ? 20231211_121507.jpg

The small bracket with the hole on the right side of the photo is a throttle cable mounting for LHD cars. It wasn't normally fitted to RHD cars made in France, but yours might have been made somewhere else.

I am not sure Andy ? although the car is a real 'Bitsa' made from NOS parts ! It's a post 1983 car with the rear handbrake cables, Front discs, and the 688/D7 1108cc engine. Seats with head rests the later dashboard, and a full Sun roof, Amil alloy wheels. The numbers are all matching in the logbook, yet it says it's a 1978 847cc 4L (but then this is Cyprus !). I am converting the car to the early dashboard with parts from Edwin, although I am still interested in buying your nice early dashboard in the New year as well. If you don't mind packing it well in a thick cardboard box with bubble wrap and posting to Cyprus ? Regards Kevin
If the front-to-rear brake pipe runs along the nearside of the chassis, it was probably a LHD car - that might explain the unusual underbonnet pipe routing.
The dash is for collection only - sorry!

The diamond plate reads R1123 - this is from an 845cc car - and is fixed on the bulkhead boss for a rectangular plate. The holes for the LHD parts look to be there and plugged. It is what I suspected - a re-shelled chassis. Can you please post pictures of the oval plate, and also the rear part of the crossmember where the seats are bolted on? We may be able to clarify what's going on.

The small bracket with the hole on the right side of the photo is a throttle cable mounting for LHD cars. It wasn't normally fitted to RHD cars made in France, but yours might have been made somewhere else.
Thanks for the info Malcolm, my car is a real 'Bitsa' but solid with no rot.

If the front-to-rear brake pipe runs along the nearside of the chassis, it was probably a LHD car - that might explain the unusual underbonnet pipe routing.
The dash is for collection only - sorry!
Yes it does, so it was probably a LHD car as you say. I have just been having a PM conversation with Angel about changing over to the early dashboard, and its not an easy conversion, and with many parts required from the early cars. So I will forget about that dashboard for now.

Last edited:
The diamond plate reads R1123 - this is from an 845cc car - and is fixed on the bulkhead boss for a rectangular plate. The holes for the LHD parts look to be there and plugged. It is what I suspected - a re-shelled chassis. Can you please post pictures of the oval plate, and also the rear part of the crossmember where the seats are bolted on? We may be able to clarify what's going on.
Thanks Angelos, I think it is a LHD converted from various NOS parts.20231212_081425.jpg20231212_081609.jpg

Oval plate is from a Cyprian market RHD 1978 TL.
If you have, or you can take, a picture from the rear part of that crossmember - imagine what the toes of the rear passengers "see" - it will be clear whether the chassis came from the TL or they changed it with the bodyshell.

Oval plate is from a Cyprian market RHD 1978 TL.
If you have, or you can take, a picture from the rear part of that crossmember - imagine what the toes of the rear passengers "see" - it will be clear whether the chassis came from the TL or they changed it with the bodyshell.
Yes you are correct Angelos ! And I just found a body number stamped on the righthand side of the crossmember as well R1123 5809492 which is the same as the bulkhead plate, so it's a 1978 Renault 4TL RHD body, with a post 1983 bulkhead (later dash) and LHD chassis (brake pipe on L/H side) with a rear handbrake, disc brakes, Amil alloys, 688/D7 1108cc engine and a sunroof ! AMEN ! So all I need now is a decent RHD post 1983 dashboard. Thanks.

Wait, I asked you for a photo because I suspect that chassis number only may had been transferred on a later chassis. Front torsion bar anchor points will tell us the truth.
Also I see you have internal door hinges and small tailgate hinges, so whole bodyshell is post-83.

Back