Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Cam type torsion bar adjustment

kevinandkate

Sadly no longer an owner
Hi has anyone adjusted the later type torsion bars with the cam type adjusters. Fifi is a little droopy at the front particualrly drivers side (without me). The Haynes manual is less than useful. I am assuming its the smaller of the three bolts at the back of the crossmember under the seat that is to be adjusted and without the vehicles weight on the suspension or am I barking up the wrong tree.

You might have the wrong tree there. Most of the post 1968 cars have splined torsion bars at the front that fit into mountings that aren't adjustable. Are you sure you have a cam type adjuster? To adjust them you'd need a torsion bar removal tool.

Careful you aren't in the wrong arboretum. If the rear is out it can make the front lean, but adjusting the front would put too much weight on one wheel and cause the car to steer on bumps. I did that once. Jacking the car at the front in the middle and measuring the rear ride heights, then jacking at the rear middle and measuring front ride heights is the way to tell.

Torsion bars

Thanks Malcolm, Im going on what it said in the Haynes book of fantasy, it mentions the later type have the cam type but doesnt specify when exactly this later type is. What are the heights supposed to be and measured from where?.

Do you have a later Haynes manual? The post 1981 cars are covered in a supplement at the end (which isn't all that useful).

All of the manuals have information for measuring ride height in the suspension section. I insist the information is correct for 850cc engines not 956cc or 1108cc which are heavier and make the car sit lower at the front.

Malcolm, all 1969-1977 cars have cam adjusters on all four wheels.
1978 cars have only on the front torsion bars, 1979 onwards four fixed mountings :-(

"Early" and "late" are very relative meanings as the first Haynes manual was published in 1972, the last in 1986... :-)

The method you describe with the centrally positioned jack is an old 2CV trick, it is particularly useful on them when you start assembling the suspension from scratch. (and don't forget that with their interconnected suspension is easy to end up with two diagonally placed wheels holding the car level) .
Renault officially recommended the use of some special scales to check the spring loading at each wheel (a "scientific" view of the method you describe!). I have found it unnecessary because there is no interconnection on our suspension, and because the workshop manual gives a (rather accurate) baseline for the initial torsion bar setting.

kavinandkate, both fixed and cam type front torsion bar mountings are held by two large and one small bolt. Look at the top bolt, if it appears to pass through a fixed hole, you have the latest fixed mounting. If it passes through an elongated oval hole, (and there is a series of other holes below), you have the cam type mounting.

Thanks both. Will be having a proper look shortly. But I think it's likely as Malcolm said, that they are the fixed type.

Back