Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

CHASSIS NUMBER - where exactly is it?

F6frogie

Enthusiast
Hi all :D

As the title says I would like to know the exact location of the chassis number on my 82 F6 van with photos if possible :-)

I never remember seeing it before and have really never needed it but now the MOT man needs to see a visible chassis number on these old classics since the beguinning of the year.

Regards, Matt

Hi there F6frogie,

Mine is located on a rectangular plate that is riveted to the bulkhead to the left of where the gear stick comes through into the engine. Looks like this...

5hVzol.jpg

... Hope that helps.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply.

yes that I've got but it was the stamped one somewhere on the chassis that I was after (I have heard it is near the drivers seat?) ?

Matt

Ah, the other one!

The chassis number is stamped on the top of the front crossmember underneath the front of the RHS seat. Move the seat back and go in there with a torch and you should be able to make it out. That location is peculiar to Spanish made R4s.

It'll be the number starting with VS51128.

I'll direct you to Malcolm's post here...

http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3092

... is that what you meant?

That sounds like the one Ben :D - Many thanks.

It's a bit dark now so will take a look tommorrow and fingers crossed it will be there.

Regards, Matt

I could not wait and have just been out to the garage to have a look and can't see anything :mad:

I looked on both seat cross members. They have be painted (by me) before but only one coat of paint and I would of thought that the number would still show a bit through. When I find it I will strip the paint off that area.

Has anyone photos of it's position so I know where to take the paint stripper to?

Regards, Matt

Hi there, on my 83 GTL RHD, the chassis number is stamped on the chassis rail parallel with the drivers door near the seat runner. Of course on your van it well might be on the other side. Brian.

Just checked on my red F6. There it was as clear as a sunny day looking at me. It is located on the crossmember (box section) that the seat sits on, between the door edge and seat.

Sorry for the late reply.

Found it (thank god) it was hiding just under the lip of my alloy sill guard which I have on each sill right on the Pass seat cross member/sill weld line. I thought it was going to be very visible/deeply stamped into the steel but mine isn't and that's why it was tricky to find under the black paint.

Some of the other forums/people said it was near the drivers seat, others under the passenger seat - I had a sneaky feeling it was going to be under the sill guard before but wanted to leave it until last as the were glued down.

I have now stripped it back, re-painted the surrounding area and trimmed a notch out of my sill guard.

picture.php

Glad it is the same number as on my Carte grise/engine plate too :D as I have also heard a lot of people finding that they have a different chassis! The R4 chassis actually used to be a general wear item in the day and some garages changed as many as 3 per month and some did not re stamp the vin number which did not matter much then but now is causing a problem over here.

Matt

Last edited:
How happy would we be today if we had the chance to find 3 new or good chassis a month! ;-)

well - my R4 F6 haven't got any number (VIN) on chcassis...and the place where it needed to be stamped looks like oryginal (I don't make nothing with this section off chassis now and before)

Back