Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Daft question

DeanWV

Enthusiast
Might seem like a daft question ... while I wait for my Haynes manual to be delivered... what’s the round thing at the top of the engine? I have steam coming out ....

Could you post a photo?

It could be the oil filling cap?

It’s the air filter, just realised the fan isn’t spinning, consequently over heating
Battery light is on too

Do you know what size engine you've got? I think you said you've got a Spanish-built TL, but it might help if you know exactly what engine you have. There should be a plate on the engine block; see http://quatrelle.wikia.com/wiki/Engine. Some Renault 4s (e.g. the 1108cc GTL) have electric fans which only come on when needed.

1100. Checked it before coming home. It’s the belt with teeth that runs around 2-3 cogs in the centre of the engine that has snapped.

Ah, OK, that's serious then. You'll need to get replacement belts (makes sense to replace both while you're doing it).

(1108cc engines usually have an electric fan attached to the radiator, which is controlled by an electrical thermostatic switch.)

Ok, easy enough job? I’m
Not capable but I assume it’s an easy job for a mechanic?
We ran the car for about 10km without knowing what had happened. Would this have caused any lasting damage?

Difficult to say whether any long-term damage occurred. My advice would be to get a mechanic out to your car (don't drive it).

Good luck

Well, turns out easy enough 50€ supplied and fitted, but it’s one of the cogs that caused it to snap as this is sticking. It also makes a lovely squeal every now and then ... obviously needs replacing, should be fun trying to locate the part ... anyone know who is good for parts in Spain?

Back