Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Electronic ignition question

Nigelb

1000009410.jpg

Quick question... what distributor is this and what are the best options for electronic ignition

Hi

It is a Femsa distributor. I cannot advise you on electronic ignition options. However, do a search on this website, there are members who have had positive experiences with fitting electronic ignition.

Personally I like Boyer Bransden. They're one of the pioneers of electronic ignition and have had a great reputation for reliability since the 1970s.
I've used their points-assisted system on my own and customers cars (& I sell it on my website).

The trouble I've had with original distributors is the advance springs no longer give the right advance curve. I've also used 123 ignition which replaces the whole distributor.

Hi All
Malcolm, Was the 123 Distributor easy to fit, how do you lock No 1 TDC on the 1108 engine? Is there a timing pin like on later more modern cars. Obviously the Cleon Engine has chain driven timing.
Thanks.
Ian ( considering fitting the 123)

From what I have seen, you need to mark cyl #1 on the distributor and then turn the engine until the rotor pints at your mark. The timing lines should then be aligned on the flywheel. I have spoken to 123 and just placed my order.

I've installed it a few months ago on the billancourt engine. Cleon is similar system. It was a 30 minute job. In 15 it was running good. After an other 15 minutes finding and using my timinglight it was perfect! It is dead simple to mount if you already understand the basics of timing your distributor. It has a LED with tells you enough to start the engine.

Back