Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Electronic ignition

MartinA

Enthusiast
Hi

I am looking at fitting electronic ignition to one of my R4s 1108cc. The Powerspark web sites shows two kits for Duccellier distributors K504 & K8, I am not sure how to tell which I have fitted. Can some one explain how to tell please.

Read this topic.

Aldo it is accusparc ignition (also 2 kits awailable K20 and K23) i believe they are same as one from powerspask

Personally I prefer the Boyer Bransden unit. Similar price (about £40), ultra reliable: 5yr warranty (They've been making electronic ignition systems since the seventies). It doesn't need the condenser but simply uses the points as a trigger only, using a fraction of the current, so the points faces don't burn and so last 20,000-30,000 miles.

Hello everyone,

This post seems to be discussing two different approaches to putting electronics in to the ignition system.

In case it helps, I share my experience...

Finding a hall effect type of of system to replace the points in my Ducellier distributor (external points adjustment model) was also my first thought. I failed to find a compatible kit but perhaps it's worth mentioning the SheeryBerg range of devices: they might be a little more affordable than the suppliers mentioned above and are easily found on the AliExpress site... but being confident you have found the right kit for your vehicle may be a little more challenging.

One possible disadvantage of replacing the points with these hall effect systems is that if ever they do fail you could be stranded.

An alternative means of adding electronics to your ignition system is adding a Transistor Assisted Contact (TAC) circuit between the points and the coil primary. I ended up fitting the Velleman kit (K2543) but if you are not comfortable with a soldering iron there are (more expensive but less time consuming) preassembled alternatives.

As mentioned above, the TAC approach also allows the condenser to be removed from the circuit and it should greatly improve points life. For me fitting the kit brought the expected benefits (easier starting and better running) and I have some comfort in knowing that if the circuit fails or becomes suspect it's a road-side job to remove it and reinstate the original setup.

Back