Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Engine "clicking" while accelerating

MarioZg

Enthusiast
One more thread, I hope this would be the last one in the problems section :D
Anyway, one day I was driving and everything was ok, but the other day, engine started "clicking" in acceleration. When it`s on idle it runs normally, driving in constant speed is normal, but while I`m pressing gas pedal in order to speed up, I hear that "clicking" sound.
Valves are set, distributor is brand new Ducellier, timing is set (but sound can be heard either on advanced or retarded timing), sparks and cables are new. I really don`t know where and how to look, because it can be heard only while accelerating, not even on higher rpm in neutral.
You may hear in video what I`m talking about, but the sound on video is not showing the quite actual sound which can be heard in car.

If anybody has any ideas, feel free to write. Thank you very much.

Does it click if you remain parked & try to pull away - loading up only the engine? Just possible drive train clicking, not engine clicking.

Hi Adam! No, I hear it only when speeding up in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear but in 3rd and 4th sound is more likely to hear when the torque is lower. It happens always every time I press the throttle pedal. I suspected on distribution chain but I can`t be sure.

Hi Mario, check for free play in the timing chain by trying to rotate the camshaft pulley (or the alternator pulley) by hand, firmly - if there is movement in the camshaft but no movement in the crankshaft (flywheel), then there is slack in the timing chain. I had this slackness and found that the tensioner has seized - lack of oil changes.

Sorry for taking me so long to answer, but I was really busy these days. Anyway, I recorded possible free play, but I'm not sure is it normal or can it really affect on clicking.
Please, take a look on this video. Thank you very much!

Does the ticking get louder with higher load (driving up hill)? If so an exhaust manifold or downpipe leak can sound like ticking.

No, the sound is constant, ticking is rhythmically. Manifold seal is new, sound has appeared after week or two after changing seal out of nowhere- everything was ok in the morning, I went back from work and it started. I thought the same thing, tightened manifold screws, but the sound was still there. For example: I`m driving in constant speed in 4th gear about 60 km/h (without sound) and I press throttle till the end and I hear it in the same intensity an rhythm until I reach about 90km/h, then it get lost. When I`m in 3rd, it can be heard in between 50-75-80 km/h. I don`t hear it in neutral, no matter how hard or long I press the throttle, only and exclusively when engine is under load.
It`s hard to be a mechanic via internet, isn`t it :D

A timing chain would be unlikely to strech overnight. I would be looking elsewhere. I would consider getting a friend to stick a rag over the end of the exhaust while you listen to the engine. It would rule out exhaust leaks or maybe a loose spark plug.

Yes, I agree... timing chain would show some problems over time, not out of nowhere. Yesterday I changed sparks but no difference. I really don`t know where to look anymore. I`ll try ti stick a rag and listen, thank you for advice, but I think that this sound comes from the engine itself. Ok, valves are set, but is there any possibility that sound comes from valves? I don`t think that because unset valves I would hear in every rpm, but... I really don`t know.

Hi Mario, might be the drive shaft starting to go bad. on my car it was worse when the engine was under load, like going up a really steep hill. Never heard it when cruising on a flat road.
When accelerating there is more torque applied to the wheels and thats when I heard it

I think I found problem. From what I saw on internet and from experience from some mechanics problem should be in broken manifold of manifold gasket is leaking. Did anybody ever heard of broken manifold on Renault 4, because I didn't.
But on the other side, I changed the gasket 2 months ago (Victor Reinz), so I don't understand why it would leak that soon.

Problem is fixed! Manifold gasket was leaking.
If that happens again in next few thousand km, I`ll have to skim manifold surface...

I had my manifold skimmed because of bad distortion - unsure why, but exhaust and inlet branches weren't level with each other at the cylinder head, so unevenly clamping down.

I currently have a chronic manifold to first pipe leak, which - despite a new pipe and four different re-assemblies (with two different pastes) - is determined to leak after a couple of months. I re-seal it for the MOT and give up in-between times now!

Hi,

I wonder if this maniforld sealing is suitable for my R4 with a Zenith 28 IF carburetor, i could imagine that this sealing was for larger diameter suction channel carb?
both suction hole and exhaust holes are approx 24mm but in the sealing hole for suction is some millimeters larger.
R4 manifold and seal.jpgR4 manifold hole diam.jpg

Hi Pepper, pinking would be least of my problems, if it would like to start at all, made no changes and it went worse and worse all the time.
Sometimes i could start it after winding the start motor for minutes, coughing once, twice and little by little getting running but finally when it gets going runs nicely on high rpm but not at idle at all.
seems that exhaust channels outer channels are leaking some, see leveling result.leveling inlet manifold.jpg
leveling 2.jpg
and then some inlet manifold leakage testing with vine bottle corks

leakage testing.jpg

today i took the manifold to a local workshop to be machined even, will be ready next monday morning.

Back