Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

fuel consumption!!!

samuely55

Enthusiast
Can anybody say how to lower fuel consumption on R4 (845cc)? There is blackj smoke coming out thru the exhaust when the gas pedal is pushed hard and the car won't drive more than 12 Km per 1 litre of petrol.

These cars need the ignition system to be well serviced - make sure the points are clean and correctly adjusted, and that the ignition timing is correct before doing anything else.

A common problem is the carburettor choke doesn't fully open (maybe the cable slips or has been badly fitted). You can check by taking the air filter off and looking down the carburettor to see if the choke is opening fully.

I really appreciate ur help. I always check the cleanliness of the ignition contact points and ofcourse the choke is fully open. But i still have more questions: One is the correct gap of the contact points. And the other question is: how do I check the correct adjustment of the ignition timing? Here I want to tell you that I do not have the stroboscope. So I would really appreciate if you can mention other ways of checking the correct ignition timing. Thank you for your help.

0.4mm points gap will work. http://www.renault4.co.uk/tech-points.htm has some general information about setting the timing. For static timing (without a strobe) position the engine so the slot in the flywheel is in the position shown in the photos, and connect a bulb between the negative terminal of the coil and the negatice of the battery (or any earth). Loosen the distributer and turn it clockwise. Then turn it anti-clockwise until the bulb just turns on. That's just about the right position.

Back