Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Help with fuel problem

joao44289

Enthusiast
My Renault 4 has been using way too much fuel and I don't know why. It did 270 km with a full tank which I believe is way too little. I don't think it's the engine because it's been opened up and cleaned when I bought it and I couldn't find any fuel leak. What else could it be? I don't know if it helps but near the exhaust tube there is a strong smell of gas whenever the engine is running.

It's a R1123 with a 845cc 800A7 engine.

Probably carburetor is leaking fuel.
That is why you have strong smell around it.
Is it wet under carburetor when engine is running?
It should not be any fuel outside carb.
This situation can be dangerous also as fuel is leaking on hot exhaust manifold.

I would start there.

How does it runs?

Probably carburetor is leaking fuel.
That is why you have strong smell around it.
Is it wet under carburetor when engine is running?
It should not be any fuel outside carb.
This situation can be dangerous also as fuel is leaking on hot exhaust manifold.

I would start there.

How does it runs?
I meant the exhaust tube on the outside. Not the inside exhaust tube. I've never seen any wetness around the carburetor but I'll check again. It runs pretty well, don't have any problems with that.

Is there a "petrol" smell from the exhaust? That might sound a strange question, but I mean does it smell as it the choke is out? (I hope that makes sense!) If it does smell like that, I would suggest the mixture's wildly out, and the use of a gas analyser (or a friendly garage....) might confirm the emissions reading and suggest the next option.

Is there a "petrol" smell from the exhaust? That might sound a strange question, but I mean does it smell as it the choke is out? (I hope that makes sense!) If it does smell like that, I would suggest the mixture's wildly out, and the use of a gas analyser (or a friendly garage....) might confirm the emissions reading and suggest the next option.
There is indeed a petrol smell coming from the exhaust. Quite a strong one. Just to be clear the smell comes from the exhaust tube that is on the outside. The one near the wheel. If the mixture is off what can I do to fix it?

Also I just want to check this, 270km with a full tank is too little right?

Hi

It is also worth checking for petrol tank leaks as the smell of the vapours drift around the back of the car. I had a recent petrol tank leak and it was hard to detect exactly where the smell was coming from. The tank was outwardly dry, tank not rusty, no leak from drain plug, no leak from filler neck. Dropped tank and found wetness on top of tank, the rubber fuel hose connecting to tank had perished and fuel was leaking on top of tank. It could also be the fuel sender unit seal too, if leaking from this area.

As a guide the mixture reading should be in the region of 3.5-4.5% CO. Again "as a guide" try screwing the mixture screw fully (but g-e-n-t-l-y!) in, making a note of how many turns it takes, then unscrew it by about 2 and 1/2 turns. Another thought I've had is that a jet may have become blocked within the carburettor, which might involve having it cleaned out by a professional.

As a guide the mixture reading should be in the region of 3.5-4.5% CO. Again "as a guide" try screwing the mixture screw fully (but g-e-n-t-l-y!) in, making a note of how many turns it takes, then unscrew it by about 2 and 1/2 turns. Another thought I've had is that a jet may have become blocked within the carburettor, which might involve having it cleaned out by a professional.
I thought that it might a problem with the carburettor because I checked again for fuel leaks and I couldn't find any on the gas tank or around the carburettor. Unfortunately I have no idea where I can go to get it cleaned. Going to have to ask around.

I misunderstand you!

If carb is dry from outside then probably problem is inside carb.

What carb is on your car.
If you have Zenith 28If there is topic made by our forum member Mojobaby

He gathered almost all problems regarding zenith 28if and solutions to them.
There is even video of his work.
Worth to read and look
It is not very complicated.

I misunderstand you!

If carb is dry from outside then probably problem is inside carb.

What carb is on your car.
If you have Zenith 28If there is topic made by our forum member Mojobaby

He gathered almost all problems regarding zenith 28if and solutions to them.
There is even video of his work.
Worth to read and look
It is not very complicated.
I think I have a Zenith 28if but how do I check if I actually have that one?

On side of the carb body should be stamped name of manufacturer and model numbers and date of manufacture
PB040167.jpg

20170405_211022.jpg

Zenith 28IF cab be slightly different from model to model depending on car/engine to fit

I found the problem. There's a petrol leak on the carburettor. I noticed just a tiny amount of it on the side but I'm sure it's causing a lot more fuel to be sucked in than it should.

Last edited:
Back