Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

HHA 537D where are you now?

Jason the Dauphin

Enthusiast
Hi,

I'm a new member having managed to resist R4s for 10yrs after the above finally fell apart, however to my knowledge it hasn't been crushed and I wondered if anyone had seen it? It was a white 850cc 3 speed with red seats and aftermarket period wheel trims and internal door handles instead of and covering the rectangular slots. I used it daily for 18months or so having bought it sans MoT and got it on the road again, but sadly it went really really rusty!

Currently I drive a 1973 Citroen Dyane and indeed the 2 R4s I had, the aformentioned r1123 and previously a rotten GTL B54 KTO have been the only non 2CV type cars I have ever owned!

Oh for a Parisienne to park next to the Dyane.....:rolleyes:

According to the DVLA (click vehicle enquiry) the last tax disc expired in May 1999. There's probably not much chance for the old girl. Can I suggest replacing her with an Ornella :D - same spec but zero rust and with a RHD car in just the same spec thrown in for spares and the steering conversion.

My favourite R4 was a 1977 car called Florence who rusted away at a point when I had no time to fix her. I have fond memories of her including a trip to just short of Russia.

its probably sitting in someones barn or a container waiting to be restored. I have 3 like that....
but now i have a new unit with space so maybe i can start one....

Im also looking for my old 1962 585 EPX which i sold in 2005. That says exported...:( on the DVLA website.

Hi,

yes I thought the last tax disc ran out May99 as I put that on - the story went it was passed on as was my Ami 6 break to an acquaintance who was going to repair them but he promptly left them to rot and then they disappeared, where I do not know, I was just hoping maybe at least some of the parts survived! I still have the V5!

585EPX exported? Aw that is a shame, when it was for sale in the early 2000s I was so so tempted as it was beautiful and surely the oldest RHD, I've seen a mint 63 845 but never a 747cc version. The only reason I didn't go for it was it was so pristine I'd be scared to drive it, a shame because I've long lusted a 750 4L.

Ornella is simply lovely, again probably way too mint as I do drive a lot although now I do have undercover parking in a small car park with cameras and a guard! Don't see why it needs converting to RHD though, I like left hand drive cars.

Someone should do a repro of that gear diagram on the screen, its a really nice touch!

Might scour France for a scruffy usable LHD 3-speed model, sometimes they come up but usually they're long unused and need rebuilding.

Or rescue a 3 or 4 speed 60s car next time a repairable one comes up here. And I do have a terrible desire to put wickerwork style fablon on one sometime (I shouldn't admit to that...):o

Any joy with Blue 1970 R4 TTR 548H ? DVLA suggests expired April 1982 ...

My first :D

Thanks

Last edited:
Ornella is simply lovely, again probably way too mint as I do drive a lot although now I do have undercover parking in a small car park with cameras and a guard! Don't see why it needs converting to RHD though, I like left hand drive cars.

Meany :D. A few people have said she's too nice. Is that another way of saying too expensive? I've not been trying too hard to sell her yet as I'd rather she went to someone who is concerned about her rather than the inevitable muppet who would have her otherwise. The number of miles don't matter - it's the love that counts.

She had her first ever taste of snow today.

Well I'm pretty poor, plus I just got the impression you didn't want Ornella to be used everyday. I can understand that, she is really lovely. She would need protection, a secure undercover place to park plus rustproofing at least. Are you sure you really want to part with such a nice car though? Glad you're using her though, as I said a 750 4L is a holy grail of mine car-wise! Limited power and miserly fuel consumption, the lovely early type seats and dash, the little grille etc etc <sigh>

I noticed that lovely parisienne on the other thread, according to 'Renault: the cars and the charisma' you could get a DIY kit of the wickerwork from Renault UK and the wheel trims too. Indeed, being a fan of all things 60s I have a film called Otley and in the background at the end there is a white R4 wearing the wickerwork parked up. Being a UK film I expect its the very kit mentioned in the book. Shame I can't do a screen capture and post it. Hmmm....

There's also a blue 4L 3-speed in UK spy thriller 'Sebastian' in the background.

Not that I'm obsessed or an anorak (or rather Parka) or anything :o

Not many people want the 750s. The GTLs can be used as everyday cars but the 750cc 6V 3 speeders take a bit more effort for everyday use. Not that they shouldn't be used every day. I run a GTL because it's more jump in and go and there's no need to move cars around to get it out.

I'm building a 1967 car at the moment with a slightly bigger engine. See the restoration. There's every chance it might be finished next year and 3 R4s on the road is a bit much. Might try proper advertising in the spring.

Yes having had an 850cc 3 speed and a 1108cc GTL of course the GTL was actually rather fast, quite a lot faster than any of my Citroen twins, but the 850 wasn't any slower really than a Citroen although the cruising speed was lower, but this was offset by the greater torque. Overall I didn't find the 850cc that challenging, but I appreciate the 747cc cars are quite a bit slower and have peculiar gear ratios although this just sells it to me!!

Plus so much charm!!

Yes seen the restoration, that will be great when its done, a kind of 'best of both worlds' car.

Seems early UK 3-speeders do still exist in limited numbers albeit a lot of them not running.

Back