I have just been given this

dandaz

Enthusiast
S8000762.jpg

I quite like it...

I just have a couple of questions...

Engine size?

What year approx?

It has to go for a French CT , is there any problem areas that mot`s usually pick on ,like certain bushes etc...

and do you like it..?...:eek:

Hello! What a find! It looks like one of the later Renault 4s, a GTL which had a 1108cc (1.1) engine. Being French, and probably a GTL, it could have been built any time from the late 1970s to about 1992.

Is it in the UK, or in France?

I'm sure others will be able to help with the year details, especially if you let us know the 'oval plate' number inside the engine compartment, below the windscreen.

Good luck getting it through the CT.

Rust is the main thing these cars fail the MOT on. If a car doesn't fail on rust then it's well worth sorting brakes and front balljoints (should they need doing). Normal rust spots can be seen in the buying guide and my restoration. If you pull it out and give it a good jet wash you should see what needs doing. Doesn't look as bad as it looks to me.

It's 1985 onwards being a GTL with no reversing lights. There is a cut off year too, they were badged as Clan after 1988 ish. As jjad says we can guess more accurately with the oval plate number.

Hi

Yes it is En France....

I would`nt mind buying a few bits here and taking them over....

Brake pipes , are they metric?

Flexi hoses are they more or less the same for all the years?

Malcolm your resto is :cool: , I just wanted to do a quicky resto maybe a couple of days...:)

Do the windows slide?

Brake pipes , are they metric?
Depends on which brakes they had lying around in the factory when they built the car. Bendix brakes at the rear were imperial, but Girlings at the rear were metric. Not quite sure if the Bendex front brakes were imperial (which would mean different hoses too), but I've only come across metric master cylinders.

The windows do indeed slide. Have you not played with it yet?

..Its bound to run..

..Mine did and it had been stationary in Leigh on Sea for 15 years!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it is defiantly a GTL and cos it has the back windows that open it is probably between 1985/91. i like it in blue though, its nice. needs alot of work, dunno what the chassis looks like...

Back