Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Instrument Cluster Details

ashley1646

Enthusiast
Evening All

I'm new to the Renault 4 fan club, but after buying one in Cyprus last year and attempting to drive it home with the wife and two kids, before blowing a piston in Croatia, I have fallen in love with the little devil. (Plus the kids wouldn't let me leave him behind after a 4 week adventure in Turkey, Bulgaria, Serbia and Croatia!)

So I transported him back to Blighty and carried out a full engine rebuild, so all ticketyboo mechanically, and have now turned my attention to the electrical system.

Since the engine rebuild, I've lost lots of functionality and am in the absence of the owners handbook, I'm looking for an explanation of the lights within the instrument cluster so that I can get started. I have a Haynes manual, which only appears to deal with the later style instrument panel.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Ash

What's not working? When you switch on the ignition the oil pressure lamp should light up. If it doesn't you need to find out why, since you'll have no warning should you lose oil pressure, the results of which would be catastrophic! The battery meter should sit in the green zone in the middle, and not swing into the red zones; is this behaving itself? The green indicator light should flash when the indicators do-it's an M.O.T. fail if it doesn't. Loads of advice here if you need it!

What's not working? When you switch on the ignition the oil pressure lamp should light up. If it doesn't you need to find out why, since you'll have no warning should you lose oil pressure, the results of which would be catastrophic! The battery meter should sit in the green zone in the middle, and not swing into the red zones; is this behaving itself? The green indicator light should flash when the indicators do-it's an M.O.T. fail if it doesn't. Loads of advice here if you need it!

Hi Andrew,

It was all working fine until the engine rebuild, now lights, indicators, heater switch etc are all no longer working. At start up, the lights do come on and I knew that one of them was oil pressure so all good there.

Theres two things wrong that need addressing - Suspension and Electrics. Everything else is fantastic so whilst we are now on lockdown, it's on the cards to be looked at now.

Without taking a look at the car (Windor's not too far from Barnet....) it sounds like a multi-plug has not been put back in properly. The Haynes book is not very helpful and I'd have a look for a plug such as this somewhere behind the dashboard. I'd be happy to take a look, but can't imagine this happening for some time.....

How about taking it back to the rebuilder?

Very possible, especially as lots of things aren't working when before they did. I would rather not go back to the rebuilder as it will just sit there until the gets round to it. Between myself and my Father, we have enough time on our hands to be going through the whole system (The demister, and lights were a bit dodgy when I bought the car, so its not entirely down to the rebuilder.

Electrics are just a process of following through a fault finding process, so its not daunting. When you've rebuilt the comfort hydraulics on a grosser over a six month period, a Renault 4 is lovely respite!

Back