Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

I've ordered a new chassis for the F4 van!

Thanks, I've asked for a quote but will also check shipping websites - it might be possible to get a good quote if someone is over there anyway.
Malcolm, I know a guy who goes back & forth all the time in a lorry, comes down to the Lot & back up, he's usually going back empty, puts a post up on fb if anyone wants anything taking back, might be worth asking him.

Malcolm, I know a guy who goes back & forth all the time in a lorry, comes down to the Lot & back up, he's usually going back empty, puts a post up on fb if anyone wants anything taking back, might be worth asking him.
Thanks, I'll get in touch for his details once I figure out what I'm doing and have a rough date for collection.

Heavy duty roof rack on espace/ van would work and cheaper ferry
F6 might be pushing it a bit though

I thought about a roof rack. I think that's how Derek picked up one of the last remaining original chassis from the Netherlands a few years back. Only vehicle I have that could do that is the van - it carries much heavier stuff on it's roof more locally when nobody is looking. But it needs a new chassis....

I've been drawing garages as it would be nice to have some sort of workshop for the chassis change. The worst I can do is make something temporary that will end up being permament. I'll likely end up gutting the shed and sticking a car in for now so that I get fed up with the space and get motivated to build something nice later.

I do wonder if other members would like to buy a chassis? I wish I had the space to get one then a van hire between us to pick up a bunch of them. I’d love to get stuck into another R4 but I really need to get my Austin 7 Mk1 Ruby back on the road

I thought about a roof rack. I think that's how Derek picked up one of the last remaining original chassis from the Netherlands a few years back. Only vehicle I have that could do that is the van - it carries much heavier stuff on it's roof more locally when nobody is looking. But it needs a new chassis....

I've been drawing garages as it would be nice to have some sort of workshop for the chassis change. The worst I can do is make something temporary that will end up being permament. I'll likely end up gutting the shed and sticking a car in for now so that I get fed up with the space and get motivated to build something nice later.
With a nice high set of roof beams to use a chain block on :clapping:

Went to Retromobile last week and saw the Melun stand. Their big focus was the electric Plein Air they can build to order but there was evidence of new chassis being available from the stand backdrops.

One slight snag which going to fetch it may circumvent is the import duty which we may be subjected to now we're nearly out of the EU. Certainly a German LED bulb supplier seemed very reluctant to quote me a price for shipping their wares, waving his hands and saying something about tax and Brexit.... What fun!

Btw, Retromobile is fabulous. It makes the NEC (which I've been to many times over 40 years) look like a set of Portakabins.

The red, very average, R4 seemed expensive to me. Sorry, a little bit of subject...

Retromobile looks fun and really big! The B word won't be a problem for the chassis as trading arrangements will stay the same until next year and I'm hoping to get the chassis in May or June.

Still haven't decided on the garage build. The strong winds last weekend didn't do my temporary garage (tent) any good at all. I've tied up the loose bits but I'm not hopeful for the wind due this weekend. I'm minded to put some effort in and build a permanent garage rather than modifying the shed.

Retromobile looks fun and really big! The B word won't be a problem for the chassis as trading arrangements will stay the same until next year and I'm hoping to get the chassis in May or June.

Still haven't decided on the garage build. The strong winds last weekend didn't do my temporary garage (tent) any good at all. I've tied up the loose bits but I'm not hopeful for the wind due this weekend. I'm minded to put some effort in and build a permanent garage rather than modifying the shed.
Ref. the B word, I'm considering ordering everything I can think of before 2021 if it has to come from suppliers across the channel.

Hi Malcolm

Out of interest do you still have your full size blue painted chassis Jig?

Hi Malcolm

Out of interest do you still have your full size blue painted chassis Jig?

I had to downsize a lot when I moved house and the jig went to another enthusiast. I don't think I would want to repair another chassis anyway as it takes too long. More convenient to spend a quarter of the time it would take working for money then just buy one.

I had to downsize a lot when I moved house and the jig went to another enthusiast. I don't think I would want to repair another chassis anyway as it takes too long. More convenient to spend a quarter of the time it would take working for money then just buy one.
Yes it’s good the price isn’t prohibitive. It’s bringing the realms of full resto within the time restraints of us working bods

Back