Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

List of members and their cars

edwin

Enthusiast
I have moved this from Discussions to this Forum
Suggestions for consideration by Malcolm, who would have more work to do, and the forum in general..

That we have a list of members and what cars they have. So others can contact direct via "conversation", someone with the same car model to discuss a particular detail or refurb detail or experience.
That members have a section on which they can post pics and details/ histories,/ stories of their cars.
It may be that both the above are in the same section, but the second is a voluntary extension of the first
It would also build a library of the cars. I know bits and pieces appear all over in the forums, but this might collect this particular aspect so that it is easier for members to access.

The gorgeous section continues as it does, with lovely pics of R4"s
Just a thought. Edwin

There is a field in the profile where members can mention their cars but it doesn't seem to be searchable. I'll not have many free minutes over the next couple of weeks, but if anyone if familiar with Xenforo forum software or has some hours to investigate their forum then ideas would be welcome.

Is there any further discussion on this subject, which would be of great help to us all. I'm afraid I am not computer oriented, so can't help.
However, it could be just a list , which we can all access, and then take the info off the list and contact the person/car of interest through the normal channels of communication in the forum. Even the simple list of members and their cars would provide the main information. We can then read the owners name and then go into the normal forum and contact them. So it need not be integrated into the forum software, just running alongside. It would be nice to expand it onto an updatable history of the cars, so we build a library of the clubs cars, but that may be for another day when some R4 freak is also a computer freak as well.

I would welcome this,as it could help us build little pockets of 4 owners who can keep in touch on a more regular basis,etc

Hi Malcolm. With the "about" section in our details, could there also be a section current and past cars, and then a central button for a list of all those bits of info.

Jasper94's idea is good as well. We don't know where we all are, and knowledge of fellow local garagiste's would be great have, in developing a good beer and pubs section.

except current data protection laws can be interrpreted as making useful information like this illegal
example I have just found out is all service invoices for cars at main dealers traded in are now shredded instead of being passed on as they have got previous owners details on
mad world we live in now

except current data protection laws can be interrpreted as making useful information like this illegal
example I have just found out is all service invoices for cars at main dealers traded in are now shredded instead of being passed on as they have got previous owners details on
mad world we live in now
I wonder why they don't just redact the owner's details. This is what a local main Jaguar dealer did for me when I wanted to know what had actually been done at the services for which there were stamps in the book. They used a black marker pen on the printouts from their system and then gave me a photo copy of those before shredding the markered versions.

They were unexpectedly helpful and very pleasant about it so I put a £5 note in the charity box they had on the desk. I hadn't even bought the car from them.

I had a look at addons available for the software and there doesn't seem to be any addon that will allow members to be searched by location.

To be fair I can imagine it being a hassle to write the addon as location is a free field and you might get 'UK', 'Wales', 'South Wales', 'Cardif', 'some village near Cardif' that might all be the exact same place. Would be tricky for software to figure that out.

Location is publicly visible (on screens at least as wide as a mobile held sideways) so I don't think it is a privacy issue, other than people come and go from the forum and if they have posted on here in the past but aren't currently excited about Renault 4s they would probably not want to be contacted. I think if you spot an active member near you it would be fine to private message to suggest a get together. That's helped build R4 friends for me.

Oops - replying to the wrong message but the last bit would apply to cars too.

Back