Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Oh No...anyone know a welder??

mupps

Enthusiast
Hey up everyone,

Looks like I was a bit premature in finding out about the sunroof. I have not had a good report back from the garage who have mentioned that my R4 requires in their opinion a new chassis. I have asked if they could get me a quote to get it welded.

They are a good garage although I was wondering if a new chassis for these babies is still available? I am reluctant to let him go as I really want to use him and they are sooo hard to find.

Any ideas or numbers would be appreciated. This has gutted my day....

Cheers guys,

Mupps:(

my dad !
well i doubt it as ive got him changing inner and outer sills on a mg midget i was given for free on the drive outside between rain clouds!
i know of a place in molesey that does top work on classics,or if its drivable im sure my dad wont mind having a look at it for you and see how bad it is,i dont thnk chassis are available from what ive read on here
theres a lot of threads on repairing this area on here by some ppl who know these inside out and they say to repair properly its body off.But i guess you could patch it up and use it then for a couple of yrs
post up a few pics and im sure someone will tell you how good/ bad it is
dont scrap it !!!
matt

Cheers Matt! Thats great advice. I will try and get some pictures of it and then you never know if your dad can help me obviously i would pay. Are you in surrey then? Thats not too far from me.

I am determined not to sell it and even would sell my everyday car before the 4 goes!!

I shall get some piccies and post them. As for the body off that is something that can be done.

Thanks again...cheers for the vote of confidence..

Mupps

Once you get the body off and all the suspension etc get the chassis sand blasted (cost me abt £150) and then you can reallt see what needs doing. Lots of special sections from DFranzose in Germany and Hadrian in UK do corrugated panels you can use to replace the whole floor, not easy but can be done.
Good luck with it
Allan

There's not much on a R4 chassis that can't be properly repaired. See the restoration pages for the typical bits. Renospeed would be the guy to do the work, and unless it's really bad it should be much more economical than a new chassis. The garage might be thinking of 2CVs where chassis are so plentiful and cheap they are considered a service item.

Post some photos of the damage if you fancy some opinions.

Back