Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Oil Filter

DBB

After buying my 4tl and doing some menial tasks on it, oil was the next on the list. What, no oil filter? Haines just says early engines have no external filter on them?? And sure enough there isnt one. Can anyone shed light on this please.

I think that Renault thought that the early engines didn't need an oil filter, providing the oil was changed regularly. Changing the oil in a R4 is very easy - I can do it without even needing to jack the car up. Doing it frequently is good anyway.

However, a search on the forum reveals that you can replace the blanking plate with a threaded adaptor to which you can fit an oil filter. See this thread: http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/threads/f4-oil-filter.564/

Cheers!

JJAD, You can drain the engine oil without jacking the car up? You must be a very slim person, me thinks ;-) When that scolding oil hits your hand and you drop the spanner, you need a little headroom.

As jjad says, a threaded adaptor is (was) available. This screws into the engine block in place of the blanking plate.

According to my 1993 parts book the part number for an 845cc model is 77 00 532 934. This is a 19mm spindle. For GTLs the number 77 00 725 923 with 19mm at the engine block end and 20mm at the other to screw into a (larger) oil filter.

You say a "TL" and presumably this is an early UK model (pre 1974 or so). If it isn't it should have an oil filter anyway . . . .

Back