Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Painting Whitey

Teodor

Enthusiast
So, if I want to go to work with it, it should at least be free of rust and somewhat presentable, so here it goes.
Day one, grinding off rust spots, and sanding it before applying the car kit, before the primer.

Any suggestions welcome!

• DSC_0424-4140x3105.JPG
    DSC_0424-4140x3105.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC_0425-4140x3105.JPG
    DSC_0425-4140x3105.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 1
it should at least be free of rust and somewhat presentable,
The bonnet of often NOT prone to rust (maybe the 2 hinges are but that's it) and when you start with sanding, priming etc, just remove the bonnet it easier to work on.
After removing the bonnet inspect various seams of the inner and outer wing in the enginebay as they are prone for rust.
This picture shows the rusty areas (in red):

motorruimte.jpg

The outer wings are easy to remove and inspect, you started sanding allready?
Any rust will be visible and then you know the seams of inner and outer wing will be affected as seen on my R4:
rechtsbinnen.jpg

linksbinnen.jpg
Enjoy working and best regards, Joop

Thank you, very helpful.

Yes, already begun sanding.

DSC_0428-4140x3105.JPG

I'll remove it for sure. But I'll keep sanding it on the spot since I find it easier, at least the rust spots and the "rough" work. I don't really have a place that's spacious enough and sturdy enough to place it on.
The stucco and paint will be applied in the "garage" but other than that, everything else will be done outside.
When I'm done with the bonnet, I'll remove the wings and replace them, I actually bought a pair today for 60€.

DSC_0427-4140x3105.JPG

I will fix the original ones eventually and keep them as spares.

Btw, do you think it's wise to get some nitro solvent and get rid of all the paint so to reveal rust and also make it easier and thus less sanding would need to be done?
Any issues with that? I've been told I don't need to remove all the paint, but since I'll be applying the stucco and everything else that follows before the painting, there shouldn't be a problem.

• DSC_0427-4140x3105.JPG
    DSC_0427-4140x3105.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 1
Btw, do you think it's wise to get some nitro solvent and get rid of all the paint so to reveal rust and also make it easier and thus less sanding would need to be done?
Any issues with that? I've been told I don't need to remove all the paint, but since I'll be applying the stucco and everything else that follows before the painting, there shouldn't be a problem.
When the paint is good don't remove it just sand a little bit . When you sand further thru the several layers untill bare metal then you need more. On the metal first a good (zinc epoxy) primer and prime even further, then the color and eventually a sealer. In between several layers of primer sanding is important you can use a masking layer to reveal imperfections. There are enough articles to find on how to paintspray and sanding a car.

When you dismantle the outer wings, you might encounter rust and fanished metal on the inner wing then a repair piece has to be welded. Again lots of articles can be found.

Yes, I saw various articles, but I was more interested in your opinions here, since it is more on topic, thank you. I'll post further progress.

Thank you JdeW, I'll definitely check it out!

Also, today's progress down below.

Managed to disassemble the right one, was a pain to be honest, the screws inside were covered with paint so had to clean them first.
DSC_0431-4140x3105.JPG

Doesn't look too bad, not too rusty either, but I noticed the car has been bumped on the front right, the bumper was straightened or changed, but they didn't straighten the bar where it's screwed on, so the new wing wasn't fitting properly. Now it's straight again :)
DSC_0432-4140x3105.JPG

Just a random one. DSC_0433-4140x3105.JPG

And a tool I put together to "repair" the bumps on the bonnet :D
DSC_0435-4140x3105.JPG

Also, to be completely honest, I like this look, I'll see if it's possible to pass the registration with such a paint job, I'd to this to the whole car, sand off the rust spots, and paint it with that transparent finish, a few layers. Looks like a silver/white camouflage pattern.

DSC_0434-4140x3105.JPG

So, the whole day was just grinding and sanding, it seems my bonnet is very rusty..
I did clear it from the paint as I was sure there was more rust, even tho it didn't go through the paint yet, but it would have, eventually.

DSC_0440-4140x3105.JPG

Going to fine sand it tomorrow.

DSC_0438-4140x3105.JPG

I'll see how much I need to sand to clear it from the rust.

DSC_0439-4140x3105.JPG

Also, random parts of it, pop in and out when a small amount of pressure is applied. I'm afraid that will mess the kid and make it break, any recommendations on how to push it out permanently? I guess I could reinforce it on the critical parts by welding some reinforcements under it.

Back