Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Project 'Florence'

I shall paint them instead.

The engine bay is a legacy of the past and tiresoe as it may be, Anna and I get married in a fortnight and we want to use the car for it.

Time is an issue.

I'd go for silver wheels based on experiments with a 308 Jaune Tournasol car. Black gives too much contrast, and I think white might highlight the '80s origin of the wheels a bit much.

Mine are standard GTL wheels and have gone through various shades of grey. The current shade is a little dark. I don't think grey would work on alloys.

I have started doing them two-tone black and silver (in fact chrome effect) and have etch primed the wheels.

Got a coat of satin black on them too.

These wheels are purported to have come off a renualt 6 that the old boy i got them off once owned.

Whether they were an option on these cars i do not know?

R6 production stopped at around 1980, I'd guess the TX wheels would have been an owner modification.

Post some pics when finished - sounds like a really short timescale.

I doubt the R6 had ever been fitted with alloys...
They were reserved for the "sportier" R5s.

Update:

Front end now almost ready for paint - bonnet and both wings 99% prepared.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Door undergoing prep:

Picture004.jpg

Rear lower 1/4 sections welded at the top edges, but these in fact need to go back for a bit more work yet.

Picture005.jpg

Back hatch door blasted and primed - needs filling now.

Picture006.jpg

Wheels have had several complete coats of satin black and will have the chrome detail as previously stated, after the black has been flatted back.

Picture007.jpg

Picture008.jpg

The original logo had virtually no paint left on it, so it has been refurbed with more satin black and then flatted off so the letters are in ally as per original spec.

Picture009.jpg

Also have refurbed the number plates. I know you can buy new, but i think you have to keep some original features on old cars, so i did my best to straighten and buff the edges. The results are very pleasing.

Picture010.jpg

Will post more as it happens.

I love the exhaust :lmao:

IMAGE_211.jpg

Got busy with the wheels. Will 'unveil' tomorrow.

IMAGE_212.jpg

IMAGE_213.jpg

My unit looks like a 'Columbian Marching Powder factory...

IMAGE_214.jpg

Sorry guys, been meaning to update this thread, but have been busy getting married so have been preoccupied.

Off to France tomorrow for honeymoon, so no updates will be forthcoming for a week or two.

On the other hand, John and Renospeed has sourced door rubbers for about 8 quid plus vat a metre. I have ordered 18 metres to replace the defective items.

This project lives on and i will get some more photos for you soon.

We are moving house this week and progress whislt steady, has slowed a bit.

Any help? ......

I have what I would call a 'Britax' type vinyl sunroof (a la Mini) that was cut out , frame & all, of a 1981 4GTL. From what I can see in your photographs that surround seems to have a raised edge, unlike mine, so I guess not much use as a measuring comparison, but thought I would mention it just in case, as Worthing is rather nearer the IOW than Bedfordshire!

Back