Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 F6 shockers and wings

blakeyboy

Enthusiast
Greetings!

Took the shockers off when sorting the rot out on the back end.
One shocker came off easily, the other was fun- it was under compression, and expanded after removal.
This rather active little bugger had 'de Carbon on it...an original?

The shorter one sort of works as a shocker-0 you can move it in and out by hand, and you get a gurgling.....
Is this a problem or should I just get a new pair, and if so, where from?

I'm gonna need new wings and an inner wing repair panel- where is the best place to get these?

DSC01213.JPGDSC01212.JPG

Ah yes- read that.
I have contacted Delphi- their site doesn't mention shockers at all, strangely.

Has anyone here bought some shockers this year that worked well?

I just looked on the Franzose site and they list rear shockers- are they the correct ones?

If you want a good replacement for the original De Carbon gas rear shocks, try a search for Monroe 42006. These are gas shocks that I've found to be really good - I've had a pair on my F6 for the last 35,000 miles.
The problem with searches for 'de Carbon' and even 'correct' part numbers these days is that you'll be offered equivalents - and these will often be oil pressure shocks.

Franzose have confirmed that their shockers are "regular oil-pressure ones".
Why would they stock the wrong ones?

Franzose have confirmed that their shockers are "regular oil-pressure ones".
Why would they stock the wrong ones?
This is from my PR900 parts book - F6s (R2370) were originally fitted either with Allinquant (oil) or De Carbon (gas) shocks. So they're both 'right', but most R4 owners prefer gas shocks if they can get them.

20220902_101156.jpg

Ah...!

I've just looked at the front wings- they are both shot, and the right inner top is shot too.
I can see the screws on the top, and down the front, including the tricky one at the bottom ( cut off and replace? )
But I can feel where the screws are from behind that triangular panel by the door hinges, but how to get at them...
How does those panels come off, and do I have to remove the doors to do it?

That tri angular panel is the only panel welded on. When I had work done there, the garage just bent it up, did the work and bent it back, re painted it and it has , 7 years later, shown any detrimental effect or problem.

Shockers arrived and fitted!
Took three attempts each side and all of my strength to fit them ...I have the feeling the back end won't be so bouncy now....!

@Andy McGhee how many washers did you install with the monroe? I bought an pair of rear monroe shock absovers and only get 2 washers per side.

@Andy McGhee how many washers did you install with the monroe? I bought an pair of rear monroe shock absovers and only get 2 washers per side.
I can't remember - it was quite a few years ago! I remember using an old bicycle spoke and a worm-drive clip to hold the gas shock together, though.

Rear gas shock fitted.JPG

Reactions: DAA
I can't remember - it was quite a few years ago! I remember using an old bicycle spoke and a worm-drive clip to hold the gas shock together, though.

View attachment 32502
Thanks a lot for your share. I will try put the original set.. but probably with the new rubbers(i don't know the dimensions of the originals) is not possible

Compress the shock absorber and use a piece of rope to prevent it from relaxing (new shock absorbers usually have a rod).
1702279705154.png

Place the shock absorber in place by lifting the suspension arm using a jack if necessary then tighten the nut and the lock nut of the lower axle then the bolt of the upper axle (if possible, think to lubricate the upper axle in order to facilitate future disassembly). Finally remove the flange and let the shock absorber relax.
1702279742198.png

Caution: to tighten the upper axle of the shock absorber, the shock absorber arm must be in the “half-load” position. Basically the shock absorber arm should not be completely relaxed but not too raised either.

Schokbrekers achter.jpg
Originally there should be 3 washers (3 for the front and max 4 for the rear) as the original de Carbon do have them like mine de Carbon front and rear NOS shocks,
They are still available but very rare.
DeCarbon_Front.jpg DeCarbon_Rear.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DAA
Thanks for your share @JdeW . Your shock absorber photo had help me.

Real this work is not so easy than I thought..

I don't have photos how I compressed the shocker but alone was the only way how to.. the right side is done.. I installed 4 washers like I was installed before.

20231212_200509.jpg

Back