Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 please

Ian T

Enthusiast
Hi

Taking the plunge been looking and reading and searching now is the time to get one. I really don't have a great preference as all models seem to appear to have positives and negatives.

I have restored in the past and I am sure my welder will still work!!!

So I suppose I am asking does anyone have something they want to go to a good home and loved.

Like they say in the car adverts "anything considered". Not to worried if it needs work or not and is a good one.

So over to you as I am sure from looking at this forum there is a passion for them

Kind regards

Ian

Hi Ian

Welcome to the forum!

R4's have always been quite tricky to find. Even in the 90's they were rare and sold quickly. They do pop up from time to time. GTL's seem to be the most popular version. There seems to be more LHD models coming into the UK as RHD are scarce. It's a case of waiting, watching and moving quickly when something appears online.

It will be worth the wait. They are great cars ;-)

Good luck!

Chris

Someone on here is bound to have.
Welcome to the forum BTW.

Narrowing your preferences will assist members who have one that they wish to sell:-

A) your intended budget
B) RHD or not too bothered
C) how far you are prepared to travel to view

I may be stating the obvious, but eBay, gumtree, carandclassic.co.uk & classiccarsforsale.co.uk should offer something in your range.
Good Luck

Hi Neil

Thanks for this and yep you are right so my preferences are:

Suppose RHD as I live here and wife would kill me if I got anything else but certain death over a great LHD car would be a risk I am willing to take.

Happy to travel anywhere for the right car, I know from previous sorties for classic bikes you have to be prepared to travel.

Budget wise I am not concerned, is he mad I hear you all shout! I am happy to take on a project and I am happy to take a nice one. I suppose I just want one and wether it is driving now or in the future I don't mind. I just don't want a lemon that is why I am seeking everyone's wonderful guidance.

Yes locked into eBay, gumtree and classics but over the years with motorbikes I have always found owner club forums the best and safest place to come and join the family

So that's me fingers crossed

Ian

You're the car salesman's dream client - by not ruling anything out!
Again - Good Luck

Think you could say I am smitten and nothing should stand in the way of a good love affair

Think you could say I am smitten and nothing should stand in the way of a good love affair

That more or less applies to my search - RHD, 1100cc, decent condition - but they remain extremely few and far between. I have been advised to look for a LHD car from Spain or Portugal as they aren't used to wet salty roads so will be in better condition but I'd prefer RHD. 1100cc rather than 850cc? 1100cc obviously although there cannot be a lot in it performance wise. Decent condition? I've watched and admired the body off chassis repairs on here and am unsure at my time in life I want to go through yet another major restoration. What is surprising is the almost complete lack of R4s both on the roads or being advertised, especially as more R4s were built than 2CVs which are plentiful. I am in touch with two owners and have my fingers crossed. Hence my interest in meeting local owners who may know of cars in lock ups, under tarpaulins, etc. It's a bit frustrating as usually I don't have the money but now I do, I can't find the right car.

Mate
I'll take anything just as long as I know what I am getting and not bothered what I pay just as long as it fair. That is why I joined here and will stay for many years to come.

Ian & Paul,
I*m uncertain whether the following information will help or hinder.
There are approx 150 Renault 4s offered for sale on this free website, in addition to everything else under the sun.
I*ve picked examples from either end of the price spectrum:-

http://www.custojusto.pt/leiria/ligeiros-passageiros/renault-4-gtl-18618983

http://www.custojusto.pt/leiria/ligeiros-passageiros/renault-4-4l-18002257

Just click on Resultados to return to the listings.
Apologies if you were already familiar with the site.
Good Luck.

Thank you Neil but I would prefer a RHD version. Many years ago (44yrs to be exact) I bought an ex-RAF LHD Mini when I was stationed in Germany and when I returned to the UK, I converted her to RHD as the speedo was central in the car and all of the appropriate holes were also on the right hand side of the floor. I have been told that converting a LHD R4 to RHD is impossible (unless someone knows differently. If it is possible, I would certainly try going down that route as Portugese/Spanish cars obviously have a kinder life out there.

Windclassics (in the Netherlands) was once selling a conversion kit, but this posts suggests that it's not straightforward.

We have a LHD and have no problems driving it in the UK.

As my Grandad used to say the impossible we can do straight away but miracles take a little longer :-) it's something that i will find out after i have finished my F6 (was Paul's previously) as i have a ex post office LHD F6 van from France to refurbish and looking to convert to RHD.

If you are serious they can be converted to rhd not sure what insurance company will say as definitely modified at this point

My yellow peril was lhd and not any more
As long as a a donor bulkhead and dash and steering is is available from rhd same model a few holes cut and off you go
I told jonathon t to keep all bits for such an occasion
I only converted mine as couldn't get 1647 R16TX 20150414_181513.jpg 20150414_181513.jpg 20150414_181359.jpg engine to clear steering column

Conversation is what the forum strangely calls private messages
You should get notifications of un read conversation

Hardly surprising as the Conversation was addressed to the originator of this thread, Ian T. It concerns 845cc models so presumably Paul Narramore would not be interested (see his first post on this thread).

Hardly surprising as the Conversation was addressed to the originator of this thread, Ian T. It concerns 845cc models so presumably Paul Narramore would not be interested (see his first post on this thread).

Damn it, why didn't I pick that up? I guess "See conversation" should have been obvious. Silly me. "Cannons, Sir. What cannons?"

Hi there,

I have a RHD R4 that I sadly need to sell to a good home. Bought it through this site several years ago. It is a B plate and although MoT'd it is Sorn at the moment in our shed in Devon...

It is a rather 'jolly' blue colour but used to be a yellow!

Runs well, has some welding to sort out previous crap welding. Original seats, one is ripped, new carpets and rubber matts. Some rust coming through where the garage did a crap re-spray, they saw me coming!

If you are interested, then I can post pictures. Just researching likely price it should fetch.

Hi

Taking the plunge been looking and reading and searching now is the time to get one. I really don't have a great preference as all models seem to appear to have positives and negatives.

I have restored in the past and I am sure my welder will still work!!!

So I suppose I am asking does anyone have something they want to go to a good home and loved.

Like they say in the car adverts "anything considered". Not to worried if it needs work or not and is a good one.

So over to you as I am sure from looking at this forum there is a passion for them

Kind regards

Ian

Back