Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4 vs Dauphine 1959

"By looking at manuals, though, it seems that by replacing the secondary shaft-pinion and crownwheel assembly..." I mean on R4 354 type gearbox, only.

I found it very interesting indeed but it does beg the question of whether you have leaded or un-leaded petrol on your cornflakes in the morning!!!!

Well Mike We all Know that Beer is the only acceptable lubricant for Cornflakes!! Gin can be put on mashed tatties!!

Just thought I'd throw my 10 cents worth in on this one too. In addition to the cam, water pump, clutch to be changed and con rods and pistons to be rotated 180 degrees, the crank also has to be changed to use the early R4 800 series motor in a Dauphine. The drillings in the R4 crank are for the reversed direction of travel. As you virtually have to source a Dauphine motor for all those bits it sounds a lot easier just to swap the motors if indeed one could be sourced :-).

Also the 1108cc five bearing motor won't just bolt up to the Dauphine gearbox, you will need to install the R8/10 gearbox/axle setup too.

Back