Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

R4F6 '85 restoration...

what the pictures look like layers of rust them is not - mainly eaten by rust are the edges of stringers, the front corners, pieces of the floor (bottom) - the rest of the raid or rust eating paint until then (floor is realy strong - I weight about 125kg and it robust such weight without any problem but only when body is on the frame - now I don't try to step on it) - a whole sheet, I checked just a flick of a screwdriver, and nothing was broken... but still the whole floor will be replaced with a new (will be the same floor with the sides curved girders with a single piece of sheet metal)

and the weather - now it's about 12 cm of snow all around and it's still snowing very much...I don't know how I can make about 400km on polish roads to 7 a.m. tommorow (when weather is nice it's take about 5-6 hours by lorry)

I'm back - there wasn't 1-2 days...there was about a week on the road but I like it :)

When I went to te garage I seen the almost broken frame after front stringers :cry: - I rested it with front of floor part of frame and try to take out the engine - I almost done this - 2 of all engine and gearbox screws broke up and I need to cut them but before I need to buy some new metal blades - old one is totaly dull and tools shops were closed now :/

Last edited:
The engine is out :)

And after about 2 hours with draft stringers and color pen - I've the stringers dimensions for make the new ones with steel profiles (60x60x2 - in mm, height x width x thickness ) because my stringers aren't good for the car, which will experiencing a second youth :)

Engine & frame after detach...same engine and the place where he lived for 25 years

Front stringer - this is left one, right is in much better condition, but I'll make it too (two new stringers)

Draft stringers with dimensions

Next week plans - buy steel profile and make stringers :)

Last edited:
Steel ordered ... reception tomorrow - said that about 30 minutes too late and didn't come already give advice to cut my size - say say say, they don't want to work 30min before end of "work day" :)

template for the stringers is also done, but sleep does not give me the front part of the template - the much smaller angle falls in the upper part of the chassis frame than on it, or I just seem so ... I have to once again face

Springers will be made in one piece, they will not cut at all - outer part of the will of one side of the curved profile, and will only cut into the side and the direction in which you will need to bend it

Today was the day with "making front stringer part 1" - I've completly cut and bend first front stringer...it's almost ideal from the template - it's 2mm longer on front side but it's not a problem if I'll make all of front frame "brand new"

foto's

tommorow I'll make the second stringer (to the same time of making)...appointed the holes for suspension and engine cushions and mount internal strengthen of stringers - for turning screws don't twist stringers

Whow, that is a lot of work you have to do. :eek:
Over here nobody would touch a chassis in such a condition.

I hope in the end you will get everything alligned correctly.

David

haha - I'm first :hug:

Polish can - we says that in Poland :)

I hope that all will be OK when the chassis will be done...

for tooday - the second strigner is cuted and bended (it's looks better that first one)...when I appointed the holes for suspension and engine cushions and mount internal strengthen of stringers - only then I'll begin to weld the whole front of it and then do the weld it to the rest of frame (frame after repair of course)...tommorow - I'll make the template engine mounts and suspension to the appropriate places insert the strengthening in stringers...

soo - it will take a lot of time but I'm hopeful that all will be OK :)

photos of almost all weld one of stringers - it's not weld where I'll make the radiator frame and mount stabilizer - but it still requires some measure...

for this - I'm very proud of my self...I weld it in about 30 minutes, and it's not twist :hug:

here is applied welded stringer to the second stringer (wasn't welded yet) - they are virtually identical

there are photos of my front stringers...I only need to make the holes for bolts and take old brake, drive and suspension handles from rusted stringers

to the next weekend I'll take the frame from wife's brother's garage and do new floor with new sheet metal, and only then make stringers to the frame off the ground :)

and...there was some delays with the work on R4, but I have done the garage on my garden for welding and the rest of work :)

After some time of work (with R4 and for money)...birth of a child...
my right side of chassis - the stringers only (front and the side one are replaced) - looks like this:

the dimmensions beffore and after are the same - soo "I'm feel good...nananana..."

now it's time for the left side and then for the floor and the back side of chassis

:shock: Congratulations, I've never seen before someone who makes such a enormous job on a R4 chassis, good luck for the following !

Wow Maciek, respect to you! That's a really good piece of craftmanship, congratulations! I'm curious what the rest of the car will look like!

Good luck.

Thank you for your appreciation :)

At the moment, I've alredy mounted left side stringer with reinforcements and mounting rear axle arm also - sorry, but I do not have photos because my camera don't like new batteries and photos from telephone - they've not good quality :mad:

photos will be at weekend when I think I'll make the repair of back stringers and weld the floor...but it's only plans - We have hard sick (he can't hear anything quieter than 90 decibels) little boy (birth - 2 months ago) and often we go to the doctor for a visit before the surgery restores hearing in most cases

now I'm on back off chassis...

I've only 2 photos - of back stringers, and places need's repair...rest off them was rebuild about 2 years ago :)

and now it's about 15-20 cm of snow and strong snow wind near place of "my restoration" :(

I've decide to make winter break of restoration the chassis (almost done) and body, and start to work with the engine...but when the snow wind stops and I'll have some free time - I'll back to the chassis ;)

How's it going by now Maciek? I always followed this thread till it kind of died. So how's the R4 now?

the chassis -> only the floor and some small patches needed to be weld, and it will be done

sorry...it's hard decision, but this project is already in 90% dead :(

I must close my business -> it's ceased to be profitalbe

I do not want to do it, but probably I have to do it - R4 is going to be scrapped in this year...

Hi Maciek, I'm sorry to hear you might have to scrap your 4, I very much hope you find someone to take over the rebuild you have started. Regards Brian.

Back