Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Red R4 GTL restoration

Hi friends, I was working on my R4 and yesterday when I wanted to put it beck in garage the R4 suddenly died and it dident want to start again. I was looking around and I found that the fuel filter is empty. I tried to pour directly in carburetor and it starts immediately, runs for a moment and cuts off. So I now it's because there is no fuel. I was reading this forum and tried to start it with the gas tank cover of but no luck, tried to blow in to the fuel hose from the fuel pump and I just hearing whistling the air around the hose near the gas tank. What do you think, do I need to take the gas tank out?

Do you think there could be a problem with the fuel pump? If you disconnect the tank to pump hose and replace it with a length of fuel hose that goes to a jerrycan of petrol, does the engine run normally?

I dident tried to start the engine with a hose in a jerry can with petrol, that was my next thing to do.

No, I did not sort out the problem. I have to try with a short fuel hose in a bottle to see if the fuel pump is working.

The yellow drivers seat is just temporary, I need to find blue one, that is in good order.

Last edited:
I now that I saw on this forum, but does somebody know what is the dimensions and diameter of fuel pipe under the chassis?

Last edited:
Yes. 4mm inside diameter. 6 outside.
You need some 3,5m.
Just checked at my "black book" :D

I tried today to start the R4 with hose from the fuel pump directly in a bottle of petrol and it started immediately and works with no problem. So I think the problem is at the conection with the gas tank.

Back