The stroke volume is the easy part.
1397/ 4 = 349ml
The combustion chamber volume is a bit more difficult.
So I took another 1108cc head that was laying around. Put it on a horizontal place with the chambers to the top. And filled one of them with water. This head still had the head gasket attached to it. With the same thickness as the new gasket on my engine.
It took 42ml from a syringe until it overflowed.
So I estimate the chamber volume on my engine as 45ml.
In the calculation it gives.
349 + 45 / 45 = 8,8:1
Well within save margin for a petrol engine I think.
The Renault 12 in Australia definitely had the 1397 engine
what your ending up with will be very similar to a 5TS Mark 1 1981 onwards engine except that it has the combustion Chambers the same shape as c1j engine from the transverse version
If you do further research you will find that the cam lift duration and overlap varies on these engines you could have used a 3 Series Volvo 1.4 engine as well
I have converted 2 to 1300 Renault 12 cars recently this is obviously a straightforward conversion as everything is at the right end :-)
Have not been doing very much these few weeks.
A bit of tidying up the workshop and I took the engine off the stand an put it on a small trolley.
I put on the flywheel from a Renault 4GTL witch is quite a bit lighter than the original Renault 18 flywheel.
In theory that also gives me some more power than a thick heavy flywheel.
Today I fitted a very important part on my engine.
In the front of the crankshaft ther is a hole to center the price axle from the gearbox.
If you put the R4 price axle in it floppes around. it is a bad fit.
Renault made a bronze bushing to make a tight fit.
This week I got hold of the elusive part.
The part number is. 7700553174
It is a tight fit but with some gentle persuasion with a copper mallet it sits nicely in its place.
Now I could finally fit the clutchplate and pressure group.
Right. That was Jeffrey’s monopoint conversion. he left the engine as it was. With the auxiliaries against the firewall.
He took a chunk out of the firewall to make it fit.
With this conversion it isn’t necessary to do that.
I bought the crank bush on eBay as Renault told me none available
Put dimensions in and searched oilite bush
Mk2 super Cinque has different head port spacing and head would need pump end modding to let water flow
This would produce more power but more work
After attaching some of the outer parts from the R4 and the new engine supports I put the engine on to the chassis.
It turned out that I do have to take some bits off with the angle grinder.
On the other side there is a similar piece sticking out.
Now the engine sits nicely with in the engine bay.
I also put on the radiator and the manifolds